When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss ETA 7750 Sec@6 Module from Taiwan ?

SSTEEL

After reading in this thread Old School Rolex Daytona ETA 7750 of a ETA 7750 powered Daytona, with Sec@6 for sale, it got me thinking about this mentioned module that gears the Sec@6.

Now obviously seeing as the above Daytona has been running flawlessly for several years, its clear this module is actually a success over the metal to metal gearing of the Asian Sec@6 gearing set up.

I am aware that some modders can add jewels to the Asian to reduce friction, but what about recreating this module in this ETA 7750?

I assume that if a modder, or watchmaker wishes to take on this challenge, then they would actually need to dissect this ETA7750 to find out how exactly it works?  It's this what got me to the following questions..

1. Does anyone know the Origin of this Module for Sec@6 apart from some guy in Taiwan?

2. Are there any Watchmakers out there familiar with this module, and fancy reproducing a few?

3. If yes to 2, please post in this thread and let us all know ;)

I am positive many members who would love a Daytona with Sec@6 would be very interested in this, as the current Asian Sec@6 issues is a big put off, and prevents us from enjoying a reliable Sec@6 Daytona.

Looking forward to any input/advice etc.

• Like 1

Simple! Less wear and tear due to better finished parts on the ETA, probably better oiled from the start and stronger main spring. Or simple luck.....There are also A7750s sec @6 out there that run for years. The second @6 module is as crap on the ETA as it is on the Asian. Same modification.

• Like 1

I agree with MD. Almost certainly it's the same as the Asian 7750 module. I've never heard of any other module being offered.

I'd say it's the luck of the draw and the amount of actual use this watch has gotten. These movements stop running when the movement no longer has enough extra power to overcome the friction from the module. And seeing the ETA movement would be a clean, fresh movement with a much higher amplitude and lower beat error than the average Asian, it makes sense that assuming it was originally put together well, it could in theory run for a lot longer than the average Daytona sec @ 6.

We really have no idea how much actual use that particular watch has had. It may have spent a good portion of it's life in a watch box. At that age, though, it's ready for a complete service and could easily last another 5 years.

Cheers for chiming in guys, really appreciate it.  I guess I will have to play Lotto then as I love the look of Sec@6.  

I did have one back in 2004, and that was quite reliable, never gave me any issues for the year or so I owned it.  

As you say, its the luck of the draw I guess, and getting the 7750 serviced and well oiled right away can only be a positive, and needed move to the longevity of the watch.

Edited by SSTEEL

Fransisco has a great tutorial on how he does it and thats pretty much what i do with the exception I add a special teflon coating that really helps the gears from seizing up. IF you polish the plates the trasfer gears sit inbetween and add alittle teflon coating it really makes a big difference. In the end this movt moddification is a pain in the neck and needs to be revised by the rep factoies.

Just searched, and found member with same name, but no forum posts http://www.rwgforum.net/user/6006-francesco/

I will see if I can find that tutorial.

The basics are reduction of friction. Graphite does that to a certain extend but it wears off over time. Graphite IMO is an outdated surface application. And yes, I know some high end brands still use it. But so what? My 2008 Golf had a 1993 designed Diesel engine... Same thing. There are better Diesel engines around.

Nano technology nowadays is the way to go when surface treatment is required. I treat all the sec@6 movements with it and the results are phenomenal.

The basics are reduction of friction. Graphite does that to a certain extend but it wears off over time. Graphite IMO is an outdated surface application. And yes, I know some high end brands still use it. But so what? My 2008 Golf had a 1993 designed Diesel engine... Same thing. There are better Diesel engines around.

Nano technology nowadays is the way to go when surface treatment is required. I treat all the sec@6 movements with it and the results are phenomenal.

Congrats on the little one mate. Nano Tech, got a link to their product you recommend mate?

@ssteel when it comes to pushing out the the little buttons that hold the gears in place they just pop right put with alittle pressure.

Cheers mate, I am a little confused as to how this gear is removed also, does the central pin come out?  By looking at the size of the central pin head, its bigger than the hole in the cog...

img1129zp3.jpg

img1142ww6.jpg

If that central pin is removed to remove said cog, then franscisco has obviously refitted it in the above photo?

Edited by SSTEEL