When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can I Franken This PO?

Crispy3M

G'day folks,

Found this site by accident a few days ago and have spent many an hour reading.  I've decided to buy a PO Rep but was wondering if some of you could offer your opinion before I make the sale.

I am thinking of buying this one from TrustyTime:

OMG0007C - Omega Planet Ocean 42mm Black with Rubber Strap

1.  I would like a 42mm PO on Rubber

2.  I would like to be able to modify the watch with a Gen Dial, Hands, Bezel, Date Wheel, Crystal, HE Button & Crown and Tube.

I don't plan on doing all this at once but it seems to me to be a better way of working towards an actual Gen instead of paying $3500.00 for a used PO.  Having said all this, can this watch be Frankened?  Is it the best one to start with?  Should I buy one with the swiss ETA movement?  Am I wrong that you can not Franken the newest 42mm PO Reps?  If there are better 42mm PO's to start with, can you please let me know.

I'll keep reading, but in the mean time, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fantastic Site!!!!

Chris

Ps.  Sorry about just giving the name but I need 5 posts to be able to post the link :)

go gen bro. used one can be had for about 2400-2900. i would just get a stock to try it out and maybe a gen bezel. but other than that, its not worth it. unless you are those guys who live for the build not the end product :)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. 

I'd love to go GEN but that kind of cash + for a watch = Divorce.

If anyone knows if the above model from TrustyTime is Franken-able, please let me know.

Cheers,

Chris

Welcome to RWGF, of course you can franken it, there are others that have replaced various parts for gen, so just search around for the specific posts/threads which should contact part numbers, and sources etc.

The answer is No. It is the oldest, least expensive "good" PO replica .. it is not a 1:1 case. It's the cheapest Planet Ocean you can buy and still have a "good watch" .. anything under this one is crap.

If you want to franken a PO replica, you can try and buy a used version 4 Ultimate PO .. (UPO v4)  they are a few years old now and maybe you can score one at your price point.

get the 42mm 5th version, with asian 2824-2 movement. its good to go as it is, and you could then buy a gen rubber strap for it and save alot of cash on gen dial, bezel etc. or get the new ceramic bezel 42mm and buy a gen rubber strap...either option is a good one...or lastly keep an eye on the sales threads for a franken PO, they do come up for sale and all the hard work and depreciation will already be taken care of...

get the 42mm 5th version, with asian 2824-2 movement. its good to go as it is, and you could then buy a gen rubber strap for it and save alot of cash on gen dial, bezel etc. or get the new ceramic bezel 42mm and buy a gen rubber strap...either option is a good one...or lastly keep an eye on the sales threads for a franken PO, they do come up for sale and all the hard work and depreciation will already be taken care of...

Ok, can't thank you guys enough for the info.

So, it sounds like I can NOT Franken this particular model but should be looking for a 42mm 5th version.  Getting a 4th version UPO is a great idea as well however as I want a 42mm and not the 45.5mm the UPO is out.

I'll now start looking for a 42mm 5th version.  Does anyone know if these are available for purchase new or will I have to buy used?  If they can be purchased new, any links would, again, be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

you can franken the 5th version 42mm with either asain 2824-2 or eta 2824-2 till your hearts content, bezel fits, crystal fits, dial fits, hands fit etc etc, but it can cost quite abit if you buy the parts new and you get very close to the cost of a pre owned gen watch...however, the 5th version is good to go as is, it really doesnt need all those parts....i did a full franken of one last year and regretted it due to the cost and money i lost when i sold it on. as you want a rubber strap, the best advice i can give is a 5th version 42mm and a gen 20mm rubber strap...it will look great!

i would message a few trusted dealers to see if they can source you the watch, should be able to no probs-i dont see why it wouldnt still be available.

the new ceramic 42mm isnt frankenable due to the parts not being available...(the older planet ocean parts are readily available from cousinsuk, ofrei etc) however, i have seen a geuine older planet ocean crystal fitted to a rep of the new ceramic planet ocean...

good luck with whatever you choose, both the 5th version 42mm and new ceramic models are great reps

G'day gentlemen,

I've attached the QC Photos.  I would welcome any questions or concerns you have as I'm a total noob and this is my first Rep purchase.

The only thing I see is the Bezel Pointer is not centered on the 12 O'clock position but that may just be a paralax error?

Remember, it is supposed to be a 42mm V5 PO with a Swiss ETA movement and I will be using it to eventually Franken.

I guess, my only major concern with the watch will be the Crown and Tube as I have heard it was a very common problem with the 42mm PO Rep?

Cheers!

post-53474-0-28483800-1366560952_thumb.p

post-53474-0-65920000-1366560958_thumb.p

post-53474-0-78759200-1366560966_thumb.p

post-53474-0-00256100-1366560974_thumb.p

post-53474-0-95804700-1366560979_thumb.j

thats good to go, im pretty the bezel is perfectly alligned and its just the angle of the pic so no worries there. how far are you gonna go with the franken?

Thanks again... you've been a great help.

Not sure yet but I'll most likely go all the way, but I'll take my time collecting the parts.  It should be fun and, save the case and movement, I'll have pretty much a Gen PO at a fraction of the price.

Guess I'll have to start cruising the parts forums now :)

Cheers!