When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona seconds hand crooked

danielv2000

The other day, I noticed that my second hands was stuck at a time when it had to clear both the minute and hour hands at the same place. I reset the chrono's and noticed that now, it's a little crooked. The tail lines up perfectly at 6 o'clock but the the arrow is now over at the 1 second mark. I tried to cheat and stop the sweep hand at 12 but now the register at 3 is obviously 1 second ahead!! And, the tail is slightly off.

How does this happen?

Edited by danielv2000

With aftermarket Daytona hands, if you are experiencing the hands suddenly not resetting to the correct null position, 99 times out of 100, the hand's arm wand is loose on its tube & must be cemented (or stalked) in place

handtuberepair.jpg

If you are constructing a Daytona, I would strongly recommend that you epoxy all 4 chrono arms prior to assembly. This 1 simple step will save you alot of grief later. ;)

I don't think it's a dirty movement. Recently serviced by The Zigmeister. It looks like the seconds hand was not able to clear and after some time, became crooked. I will try to take a pic. I guess it will need to be straightened out.