When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Different Eta 2836-2 Movements?

rolex666

I bought two reps of Sub, which had a big price difference. one was around USD100 and the other was USD200. The USD200 has a better dial and Bezel.

Anyway, the question I would like to ask is about the movement. After I open both case, the USD100 one is with a gold/copper movement stamped with ETA. The USD200 one is a silver colour plated movement. Also, with ETA stamp.

Do the movement make the price difference or I just paid too much for the USD200 one?

According to my supplier, who supplies "Surplus" ETA movements, and Factory fresh sealed pack "NEW" ETA movements...

The Surplus ones can come in any colour, BUT all the ETA Factory movements are - GOLD Plated...

Take that for what it's worth, I do know all the Surplus ones I buy, are Silver Nickel plated, not Gold...

In your case, functionally and usability, the Gold or Silver one is on par with each other, they will both work and give you years of successful timekeeping...it makes little difference in the end...

RG

This has been a common (and valid) question of the various boards for YEARS. The thing is I do not believe that anyone has actually ever found a real answer to it.

It is a coomnoly heald midbeliefe that gold ones are from China (though still ETA) and therefore "crappier" but I have yet to see anyone actually prove this.

The Zigmeister and other people who really know about movements seem to refute this, say there is no quality difference and in fact that new ones are GOLD, not silver.

So I think AT BEST there might be some general feeling that the gold ones are new movements from a Chinese ETA facility while the silver ones MAY come from some other ETA factory... but again, it is all pure guess work.

The truth is that one is NOT "better" than the other and you should not pay more simply because of the color of the movement. MOST ETA based fakes will have gold colored movements while NO high end genuine has them, that may be one reason people prefer the silver. In the case of your sub it sounds like the more expensive fake was in fact better because of the bezel and other features, THAT is probably why you paid more.

Yeah, I should have given a longer response than the simplified version :) It's a very complicated issue because many are assembled in china and destined for the chinese market... even the dealers have no idea sometimes whether the movements are swiss or chinese. In the end, IMO, it makes little difference. I have a chinese copy 2824 that isn't even a genuine ETA (it's in an Alpha sub) and it's kept perfect time for almost 3 years with no problems.