When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best price on GENUINE Submariner?

Josetann

Ok, I know there are deals out there. I've seen reports of new Submariners under $3,000 (seemed to be around Christmastime, perhaps an end-of-year dumping to get the numbers up)? I want the best deal on a Submariner.

Used is ok, but prefer the no-holes case, since that's a recent design.

New is preferred.

A 2006 model, used or new, would be worth a little more $$$ to me, since that'll be the year my son's born. But, I do plan on teaching him to get good deals, so he'd understand if it was a few years older. He'd probably boast about how his dad got a $4,500 watch for only $X,XXX (hopefully that's a low number).

Now, if somehow someone found a great deal on a Sea-Dweller instead, I'd consider that. A GMT-Master II, I'd consider that too. An LV for retail and no waiting list? I'll list my car on ebay right now.

Speaking of which, I wonder how hard it'd be to buy a normal Submariner, and get the maxidial and green bezel insert to make it a Franken LV? Of course I'd prefer both to be oem, but the dial's all that's necessary (aftermarket bezel inserts aren't too bad). I know I couldn't send it to Rolex to be serviced, but I probably wouldn't do that anyways. I'd be too afraid they'd replace the dial (even if it was stock), or the hands, or any number of other things, which would reduce the sentimental value of the watch somehow. So I'll have to find a local watchmaker to take care of it.

BTW, thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I have been keeping an eye on a sea-dweller and a GMT2 for sale here on trademe which is the nz equivalent of ebay...

price seems reasonable... could give u the link if u wanted, but not sure where u r located... nz is a bit far if u r in the usa

I bought a 1 year old Submariner a few years back and it was in like new condition and I had to work with the guy a little bit, but I got it for $3350 shipped. From what I have seen you can expect to pay around $1000 less than actual cost if you buy a nice 1 year old used watch. Panerai tend to be a little higher for used watches, I've typically paid around $500-1000 less than the new (not MSRP) price for a 1 year old watch, less for a 2 year old watch (F when H was released). As always there are exceptions to the rule, but like was mentioned look around TimeZone or Watch Net for better prices from personal sellers. Good luck and remember the search is 80% of the fun. ;):thumbsupsmileyanim:

Check Ebay for the used Sub or SD. I've bought two genuines off the Bay. There are many great dealers and you can get a good deal if you time it right. My only advice would be to stick to a large dealer that sales a bunch of Rollies.

Stay away from eBay. There are too many scammers out there.

TimeZone Sales Corner is a great place to look. I see many great deals on there for subs. You just need patience and persistance. The subs that are priced right tend to sell right away. Same with the sea dwellers.

The LVs now seem to be relatively abundant. It is not hard to find them for retail (or less for used ones). If that is what you really want, go for that one. They are around. :)

Great idea for a gift! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just thought I'd post the links to the sea dweller and the GMT2 for sale on trademe here in nz...

note: price is in NZ dollars

also note: all the question and answers at the bottom, apparently pictures used are not of actual watches so be wary if you are interested in the watch. I am waiting for them to post their own pics...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=51353336

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=50925993

Thanks for all the advice, I'll follow up on it once I have some free time (baby's not due till June, but there's sooooo much to do). Second baby should be easier, I mean we already have all the supplies right? What if it's another boy? I guess I could just wear a watch on each arm.