When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to spot a Fake Omega...

rrari1

Just watched this video on Youtube.  Wow, this guy knows nothing about watches.  Other than knowing that the pearl can be off with a rep, his advice is useless.

i like that he thinks Asian movements dont have hacking movements.

The crazy part of it, he is not alone in his thinking, there are lots of people out there uneducated like us guys when it comes to reps, and gens.  I am no longer surprised anymore reading threads over on TRF of guys who spend several thousand on a watch they know nothing about, and they post things that the likes of us know through and through, like stainless steel used, to crown positions etc.

Usually you see the crappiest fake compared with the gen, which is fare it's still a fake vs a real Rolex but this guy is just showing you his watch and explaining what he thinks the differences might be. I'm pretty confident that you could switch this guys SMP with a decent Rep and he would never notice the difference, not this guy and not in a million years.

i remember a while back a noob member here posted photos of his very nice franken Explorer on TRF. About 10 posts of "beautiful watch,great watch,",yada,yada, finally someone who probably really knew something questioned the watch, and then the wolves all closed in for the kill!!! Point is at least 10 members on that forum don't know their ass from first base, but that didn't stop them from proving their ignorance by posting.

By and large, I find the folks on TRF to be lacking in knowledge. Most of them own a couple of gen Rolex watches, and the extent if their knowledge is what they read about modern watches on that forum.

We have to be observant, because those of us that are really interested in making a watch as close to the original as possible, have to know the things to look for, gen owners don't. Their gen 16610 looks exactly like the other million plus that were produced within that particular serial run.

Even after reading this forum for a couple of years, and owning a few gens and two reps, I would have a really hard time spotting a good rep on someones wrist.  And if I thought a watch was a rep, I would not really feel confident in my judgement unless it had a really obvious tell.

In truth, I still just spot a rep based on the wearer.