When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silver DWO

DoubleWristed

As far as I understand it, and there are much more knowledgeable people round these parts than I,lets start with terminology. There are datewheels and there are datewheel overlays. Two seperate things. A genuine rolex circa 1970's (give or take..) will contain a datewheel,of a certain font and background. If a rep is made today using an eta movement a rolex datewheel will not fit on the eta so the clever chaps on this forum have solved the problem in a couple of ways (to my knowledge - there may be others). One way is to print a thin overlay that can be glued onto an eta datewheel, this overlay would appear more authentic ie like the original rolex datewheel by using the correct font. Another way this has been solved is by removing the print on the eta datewheel and using a transfer to re-apply the date numbers using the period correct font. Hope this makes sense. Experts please feel free to point out any errors I may have made in my explanation (highly likely!) As to the gen datewheels they were made with both white and brushed steel backgrounds.

You are correct, also the genuine Rolex DW's have the number sequence opposite of the ETA as the genuine DW moves in the opposite direction from the ETA. This applies to the older Rolex movements.ETA rotates clockwise, Rolex rotates counter clockwise

Certain vintage rolex came with brushed silver date wheels yes

Vintage Rolex movements have a date wheel that turns anti clockwise

Eta have a date wheel that turns clock wise

The date position on a Rolex movement new or old is in a position closer to the center of the dial ( not by a lot but it makes a difference ) than an eta movement

A Rolex date wheel will not fit an eta movement either new or old

Date wheel overlays silver or other wise over come all the issues above. But are a PITA to get right and fit.