When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Working on CDG finish for Panerai vintage movements

marlin22

OK, I've been perplexed with this whole CDG issue since I was bitten by the vintage watch bug. So after a great deal of R&D I think I am finally getting it down. My intent is to decorate the 3602s with the engravings then CDG finish, then either nickel or rhodium plate. I think vintage watches are better and more accurate if nickle plated. I might also be able to fix the engraving issue with the 3601 if I can touch up the bridges with the CDG. This is just me thinking out loud, doesn't mean I can do it, but I wanted to share the progress with everyone. Here are some pictures.

Here is a look at other tests I've done to get a feel for spacing and different finish textures
CDG4_zpsd483b09c.jpg

Here is one that is getting very close to what I want, it is unfinished brass. Next I will do a quick nickle plating on it to see how it looks.
CDG1_zps0ec6eb7e.jpg

Here it is with a quick and dirty nickle plating.
CDG2_zps612b85bd.jpg

It still needs much refinement but it is definitely a step forwards.......

Confined it will work on the 3602 bridges, here are pictures of a set of badly worn down set of bridges I was using for testing the engraving. Can't wait to try it with some untouched bridges!! Have a few coming so once I receive them I'll go to town and post the results.
CDG6_zps436f9557.jpg
CDG5_zps11c47ccf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...