When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep or gen 16710?

cougar1

Could someone who knows these well tell me what this is, I love 16710 and can see basic flaws (I think) but this one I cant tell, but some of you can.. pics not helping too much. I would love to know if anyone can tell from given pics if gen or rep and if rep what is it? i.e. cartel etc.

To me dial looks interesting, looks gen, has Chs, dw hard to tell from angles, think crown looks gen, not sure on the bezel, bracelet as it is blown out with flash, ??

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

I'm wearing my gen 16750 right now, and to me they look identical. Crown guards and crown look good. Unless this is and aftermarket case that is gen identical. I have yet to see a rep that got the crown/ crown guards right. They all use a 6mm crown, the gen is 5.3mm

Thanks p153, good feedback, I'm thinking it's gen also, at first I thought due to the condition and bad pics it looked rep, but there is too many things on it that look gen also, just in bad light. As you say the crown and crown guards, even shape of case, lugs, edges, dial printing etc. They guy who owns it found the watch, and immediately wrote it off as rep, he needs to get a look inside it :)

He needs to take it to a watchmaker who has a Rolex case opener, unless he or you have one. Probably needs to be careful, if it was a hot item, and the thief threw it away because he was afraid to sell it, it may well be in the local police records. You  can tell in and instant when you open the back if it's genuine.

If it's running and everything is OK, he's got about a 4K watch. As above though, the only problem if it 's lost or stolen (Obviously one or the other!!!!) The owner may very well have reported it to his insurance company and the police if it was stolen. If you found it and later took it in to an AD for work, and it was on their "hot list", at the very least you would be out your watch. Sort of puts the new owner in a dilemma, because it's not readily salable, so hopefully he likes Rolex GMT's!!

Thanks P153, great info on lost/stolen items, I'll pass that on. I think this was a lost and unclaimed possession type scenario, the original owner may not have known where it was lost or even may not have reported it as lost. Still a nice find. How come I never find things like this! :D

I'm not sure about this, and I'm sure it varies from state to state, city to city, but I believe that there is a time period for someone to claim a lost or stolen item. Sort of like when folks find money that isn't claimed, after a time the money goes to the finder.

I'm wearing my gen 16750 right now, and to me they look identical. Crown guards and crown look good. Unless this is and aftermarket case that is gen identical. I have yet to see a rep that got the crown/ crown guards right. They all use a 6mm crown, the gen is 5.3mm

Doesn't the 16710 use a 6mm crown?