When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Baume & Mercier Hampton any good?

xsxces

so i've been thinking about this one as i've been looking for a white face with leather strap.

http://www.p-cls.com/bm10001-hampton-city-white-asia-auto-p-3420.html

the price indicates that it's a lower rep but i'm just curious if anyone knows anything about it.

it's automatic so there's that. i'm still a noob so i prefer a simpler movement that could run longer.

anyway, anyone know anything about this rep or any information regarding how good of a rep it is?

When you are buying a 50-80 dollar watch, it's best to not deal with the dealers who overcharge habitually. Send an email to Watch International, first, and ask for their price on this piece.

To be more clear, the more popular big dealers sometimes will charge you 100 or more dollars extra over the price of a smaller dealer. I'm not guaranteeing anything but it does not hurt to ask.

• Like 1

When you are buying a 50-80 dollar watch, it's best to not deal with the dealers who overcharge habitually. Send an email to Watch International, first, and ask for their price on this piece.

To be more clear, the more popular big dealers sometimes will charge you 100 or more dollars extra over the price of a smaller dealer. I'm not guaranteeing anything but it does not hurt to ask.

thanks for the tip. i emailed them.

since i'm completely new to this, reading through the forums, josh seemed to be reputable (already ordered and waiting for one from him) but pricing is entirely different i'm sure.

how are qualities of reps that cheap? i mean versus other reps.

Josh and his partner Andrew (Perfect Clones and Trusty Time)  are good dealers. They just sometimes charge more.

For a replica "that cheap" you should think about replacing the strap it comes with .. it's most likely going to be the biggest tell on the piece. The funny part is that a beautiful exotic leather strap is going to cost you as much as the rep watch ;)

As for the Asia 21j powered watches like this ... it's really hit or miss. The good news is that the Asia 21j is cheap to replace .. $25 retail??  If you like it, put it on a beautiful strap and replace the movement if it breaks.

• Like 1

How unusual!  Watch International (at least in the past) would go out to the watch bazaar stalls for you, and search for your piece .. Has this changed?? The whole experience of personally choosing watches for you was a huge selling point for this Dealer.

They (as far as I am aware) are the go-to Dealer for unusual pieces and spare parts.

How unusual!  Watch International (at least in the past) would go out to the watch bazaar stalls for you, and search for your piece .. Has this changed?? The whole experience of personally choosing watches for you was a huge selling point for this Dealer.

They (as far as I am aware) are the go-to Dealer for unusual pieces and spare parts.

hm...interesting.

maybe the pricing point wasn't worth the trouble?

Wow...I have had this waaay back.  It's a really nice tank watch.  The star burst detail on the dial is cool and is captured in the way the date window is shaped.  It ran smooth when I had it and had no problems.

how long did you have it? (decoded: how long did it run well?)

hm...interesting.

maybe the pricing point wasn't worth the trouble?

Since they go out into the watch bazaar every day anyway, the pricing doesnt matter. I've bought $80 watches from them.

As for how long an Asia 21j movement lasts ... who cares? It's $23 to buy, retail .. replace the movement.