When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 (no day/date) keyless issue

This is the 7750 for the IWC Portuguese Chorno.  I think I may have pressed the stem release or inserted the stem way too hard when installing.  Now the stem can't lock in place.  It pulls out easily

Here's a photo of the front of the movement.  I notice that tube thingy (red arrow) is really loose when the stem fiddles with it.  Is that vertical bar (yellow arrow) supposed to lock it in place?

Is there an easy fix to this?

Thanks.

20130622_132657_zpsf7757917.jpg

Well, I opened it up and couldn't find the winding pinion. Don't know where it went. Does anyone have a spare to sell?

Will a part 410 ETA winding pinion be universal for all movements?

If your carpet/floor has not been hoovered since you opened this up, you maybe able to find it using a light/torch, pointing the light almost horizontally, whilst on your hands and knees, if its there, you may see a small sparkle/reflection.  This is what I resorted to when I have dropped a small part.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  I had to order a new ETA one.  Hopefully it's a perfect match.

I tried your suggestions on trying to find it on the floor but was unable to.  I find it best to do it at night, with all the lights out.  Get down on your hands and knees (like Rolexman suggested) and look horizontally.  Unfortunately, I found other things I wish I hadn't.

To prevent a further mishap.  Stem is best removed while in winding position so the winding and sliding pinion are locked together and won't slip out.  Is that correct?

What are the other causes for messing up the keyless?  Will pressing the stem release too hard do something troubling?

And I read when re-inserting the stem, the stem release button doesn't have to be depressed.  You just insert the stem while slowly rotating and it ought to 'snap' back in?

If your carpet/floor has not been hoovered since you opened this up, you maybe able to find it using a light/torch, pointing the light almost horizontally, whilst on your hands and knees, if its there, you may see a small sparkle/reflection.  This is what I resorted to when I have dropped a small part.

Get down on your hands and knees (like Rolexman suggested) and look horizontally.  

*Cough* ;)

Edited by SSTEEL

:lol:

I do not get on my knees. I use a large magnet on a broom stick (the one that holds kitchen knifes with vilted pads on both ends so that it hovers just millimetres above he floor). Just broom your room and you will find éverything that is magnetic.

The winding position is indeed the best position for removing the stem. When reinserting on a 7750 you need to push the stem release button for a smooth instalment. The 28xx series does not require to push the stem release button when reinserting. Just click it in.