When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

first time vintage build- rolex 6200

Hi there,
This is my first thread and first time aging somthing, so I would appreciate any tip I can get.
the photos where taken with a camera phone, so I apologize in advance.. I was simply too nervous to handle anything else icon_e_smile.gif

ingredients:
* Tiger concept sterile watch from ebay.
* raffles time 6200 dial (doesn't fit the case- needs shaving down)
* cup of joe (extra strong)
* oven preheated to 150C -> then seeing that its not enough for me 200C (on the second try)

tools:
* basic watch maker kit.
* rodico on a toothpick (do deal with the tiny hands)
* Q tips- to "paint" the hands

after tearing down the case I dealt with the individual parts:
rehout- pretty straight forward, preheating with a hair drier really makes things easy. work the insert with sandpaper then pop in bleach for 2 min. wash with fresh water dry and presto.
case- just went mid-evil on the sucker.
p7h2.jpg

dial- now here is where it became interesting. I really had no Idea what to expect.. so I experimented on 3 dials at the same time.
*note that the explorer 111490 is my experimental lumming dial- so different thickness of lume were effected slightly different. 
(I seem to have misplaced the image of the TC dial before)
20130612122137.jpg
66ug.jpg
7fmj.jpg

20 min of heating on 150C (+ turbo function on oven) got the tiger case to this:
xvsz.jpg

granted its not much.. so I decided to try coffee and the heating on 200C (+ turbo function on oven).
I just popped the dials for a quick swim in steaming coffee then placed them on some tin foil (for ease removal)

*** this is when thing became intense.. so keep an eye on the dial while its in the oven***
after 2 min in the oven I got this:
80vj.jpg
07ru.jpg

and compare to the non coffee:
x8z3.jpg

hands- now these were not effected at all by time in the oven alone. so I just placed them on the tin foil and gently painted them with coffe with a Q tip.
then popped in the oven on 200C (+ turbo function on oven) for about 5 min- I am pretty shure the can handle longer.

4mae.jpg
2x82.jpg

in the case:
gzg6.jpg
tdav.jpg

So what have I learned?
* very gentle dial aging- preheat oven to 150C for about 20min 
* hard core overkill dial aging- coffee dip + turbo 200C for about 2 min (i'll probably settle for 1 min next time or 150C for longer)
* I am undecided about the hands.
* the hardest part is to get yourself going.. once you start you see there is nothing to fear really.

You're going at it w/ too much intensity! Spend time studying the piece you are emulating, get to recognize the effect you're after. Rarely does a dial look as "baked" as yours does.The insert looks like you've gone at it w/ abrasives. An aged faded insert is "gentle", not like its been draged behind your motorcycle! There are many "tutorials" on aging, read many & practice,practice, practice.......You'll get it w/ time. ( sorry if I've been too harsh on your efforts,) This forum has many very talented "Agers" If that's a word who will chime in I'm sure. Regards, mcotter

You're going at it w/ too much intensity! Spend time studying the piece you are emulating, get to recognize the effect you're after. Rarely does a dial look as "baked" as yours does.The insert looks like you've gone at it w/ abrasives. An aged faded insert is "gentle", not like its been draged behind your motorcycle! There are many "tutorials" on aging, read many & practice,practice, practice.......You'll get it w/ time. ( sorry if I've been too harsh on your efforts,) This forum has many very talented "Agers" If that's a word who will chime in I'm sure. Regards, mcotter

thanks for the input :)

this was just the first go at it.

as you said I have alot of fine (and not so fine) tuning ahead.

no movements where hurt in the making.

Very interesting and thanks for posting. While I'd qualify your approach as a bit of a "brute force" one, in view of the results, I have learnt a lot. Thanks for posting.

my pleasure.

although this seems less then subtle, I have done my fair share of reading.. but nothing really prepares you to what it feels like hands on :)

I'll be much more minded to the continuing effect of the different processes next time. 

I agree on most of the comments above. Too much heat for too long. Your dial looks 'cooked', which is not the effect you want.

You might do better with a light coating of matte varnish spray (google 'rwgforum' & 'matte varnish' to see examples). Hands often come out very well with a bit of baking (try 200 degrees F for a few minutes), but keep an eye on them because the line separating nicely patina'd :)  from burnt :fool:   is just a matter of seconds. ;)

Have to agree with the above. If you had forgone the abrasives on the bezel and just stuck with the color tone you would have been close to producing a genuine look. The dial looks like it came off Mercury on the sunny side. I've tried cooking dials, never seems to work well unless you want a moon surface look. I prefer old school modeling weathering techniques then clear varnish to hold in the weathered effect. Don't have any pics, those pieces are long gone and I don't mess with my watches as much anyone. I like a nice clean look these days. Good effort though...

• 1 month later...