When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 project teaser

cc33

Hey guys, I've decided to make a 1655 but the price of an original dial and hands is very high so I decided to get a nos service luminova set instead. A member over on vrf took his 1675 and swapped dial bezel and hands to make a super franken 1655. Apparently the case, movement, and crystal are the same. Can anyone confirm this before I run out and buy a gen 1675. I figure ill keep the 1675 dial hands and bezel aside so I can put them back if I ever want to sell it. The only thing I'm missing if this plan works is a genuine nos service 1655 bezel, pls let me know if anyone has one

I hope someone can confirm that this will work because I really don't feel like looking for a movement and buying another mega expensive phong case if I don't have to!

post-38788-0-48916100-1373050604_thumb.j

post-38788-0-01434100-1373050615_thumb.j

Hi A,

The 1675 case is quite a bit thinner in profile than the 1655. Saying that though if your going to buy a Gen 1675, change the dial,hands and bezel then at least you can always swap the stuff back if you change your mind and you won't loose any money. Unless your in the company of a 1655 geek no one will ever know.

By the way ALL offered aftermarket cases are wrong in one form or another. I've had em all over the years Phongs, ingods, Ndtrading etc and the biggest tell is that the cases are too big so the bezel doesn't sit correctly over the 4 and 8 placement on the bezel. Here's some pictures of an ingod case which i spend a few hours modding, biggest advantage with their case is that it has the correct outer sunken groove on the case back as per Gen, so you can work to that as a guiding point when removing excess metal!!

Metal removed from both sides of the case and a lot of material removed from the CG's including the lower half to create an up turned angle, work to the inner CG's too.

Cheers DH

post-12988-0-47970600-1373120609_thumb.j

post-12988-0-48894600-1373120621_thumb.j

post-12988-0-18695700-1373120652_thumb.j

post-12988-0-36750700-1373125788_thumb.j

Hey guys, I've decided to make a 1655 but the price of an original dial and hands is very high so I decided to get a nos service luminova set instead. A member over on vrf took his 1675 and swapped dial bezel and hands to make a super franken 1655. Apparently the case, movement, and crystal are the same. Can anyone confirm this before I run out and buy a gen 1675. I figure ill keep the 1675 dial hands and bezel aside so I can put them back if I ever want to sell it. The only thing I'm missing if this plan works is a genuine nos service 1655 bezel, pls let me know if anyone has one

I hope someone can confirm that this will work because I really don't feel like looking for a movement and buying another mega expensive phong case if I don't have to!

A, regarding the bezel, NYGuy(correctly spaced 6263 bezel) on Ebay was offering a really nice one recently. Might be worth making contact. Don't bother with Phongs case.

Cheers DH

Thanks DH! I just checked and ya the 1655's are much thicker. I'm not sure what to do now but maybe ill look for a modded phong case or the like and plop a 1570/5 in there and call it a day.. I appreciate your help. I was under the impression that they shared the same case dimensions..

I went through the same thing a few months back. If you see a 1675 and 1655 next to each other, they are quite different.

I ended up using Phong for the case dial and hands. Gen movement, datewheel, and service parts. I'm having a local dealer service it right now, or I'd post pics.