When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6 month checkin

fraggle42

Funny old hobby this isn't it?

I found this forum 6 months or so ago purely by chance. Had always been fascinated by watches, mostly just how they looked, didn't really give movements much thought, although I've always been good with my hands and usually pull things to bits to see how they work.

It only took a few weeks before I ordered my first two reps, Breitling Chrono Evo and Rolex Pro Hunter PVD. I'd always fancied a blingy chrome and gold watch and have always been a sucker for black things, cars, bikes, watches, women...

Then came a couple of cheap Alphas after someone in Pistonheads brought them to my attention. One "green sub" and one sub on leather strap with a pink face (shut up! I still like it :) These had lovely lightweight crowns that screwed down properly and were lubricated properly, both the Pro Hunter and Breitling have zero lube on the crown seals and are stiff to turn, plus the crown threads lasted all of two times doing it back up. That highlighted the lack of QC in rep world, even with $300+ reps and supposedly QC checks.

At this point I got seriously fascinated in the movements and later got some maintenance / basic repair kit.

I was also looking at these pictures in the "Daily" threads thinking that Panarais were huge and ugly, Omegas and Rolex's were boring, and choosing watches on how they looked in the photos.

I really didn't fancy any Pans.

Next was a gen Wenger PVD with Orange highlights. Quarts and great weekend beater watch.

Then a cheap Pan Radiomir was spotted, and I thought "What the hell, I can sell it again, lets see if I may like it..." expecting me to hate it. Wrong. Light, very well proportioned, lovely comfy thick (as in wide) strap. Loved it.

Next a gen Seiko 5, gold highlights on the bezel and dial, still a favourite, and as it's a gen, waterproof.

Another couple of Pans as I'd realised I did like them, a lot!

Next was an Ebel 1911. I fell in love with it through the pictures, and it's a great watch, well made, lovely details, great weight and lovely strap but I don't find myself wearing it that often.

Next came my holy grail, a gen Breitling Aerospace for peanuts, it'd be rude not to! Next two cheap Omegas, a 42mm PO Pumpkin and 42mm Bond 50th anniversary. I wasn't expecting much of these Omegas, but yet again I loved them.

I've definitely noticed a theme here. If I love the pictures of a watch, when I get it in the flesh, whilst it may be superbly made and very close to gen, they've all been sort of "meh".

On the flip side, the watches that I thought "meh" after looking at the photos, I've absolutely loved once I have them in my hands.

To the extent that lately I saw an AP Roo, thought "mmm, it's OK but nothing special", so knowing the above, I bought it, and again, I love it.

The exceptions to this have been the gens - both Seikos and the Breitling Aerospace. Loved them in the pics, but I did check them out in the flesh before buying so they're a bit different.

Funny old world, innit?

So my watch purchase history in the past 6 months:-

Rolex Pro Hunter Daytona

Breitling Chrono Evo Chrome/Gold, Brown/Gold dial

Alpha Green sub

Alpha Pink sub on black strap w red stitching

Wenger Black & Orange PVD

Pan Radiomir

Seiko 5 Sports

Pan PVD lefty

Pan Yydraskil

Tag Carrera Chrono 16 PVD

Pan Fantasy gold skeleton

Ebel 1911

Gen Breitling Aerospace 2006

Omega 50th Anni Bond

Omega 42mm PO Pumpkin

AP Roo

Seiko Orange Monster

And the last purchase is a 45mm PO case + crystal + crown to build my first franken :)

Plus a watch box, 4 watch winder + box, and a 2 watch travel case. And yesterday, a small fortune on watch screwdrivers!

I can relate, fraggle.

I just discovered RWG in Feb and purchased two watches from members, have two more on order and a fifth franken in the works. I just upped my membership to VIP, today, and spend way too much time on the site but it's a welcome obsession. Enjoying every minute!

Looks like you have been a busy man, thats a lot of watches in 6mths mate   :)  Always amazes me how we are all very much alike in this hobby (addiction)  :partytime:   Good on ya, look forward to reading about your new franken too!

I was just suprised that the watches I loved in pictures, I thought "meh" in real life, and those that I thought "meh" in pictures, I love in real life.

(so far!)

Very strange!

This franken, well I don't even know if you could call it a franken. UPO case + crystal, good serviced swiss or selita movement, SMP strap, PO clasp, gen hands, crown, tube, not bothered about the He crown, may remove it altogether, weld up the hole and polish it smooth to remove all signs of it. Probably gen dial, bezel and date wheel if I can find them for a reasonable price :)

And then a box and manual, etc, to complete it.

I think it's a cheaper way of feeding this hobby, the parts are far more rare than just "another" rep watch from a TD, so I should spend a lot less :D

'I was just suprised that the watches I loved in pictures, I thought "meh" in real life, and those that I thought "meh" in pictures, I love in real life'

True mate and testament to that I bought a Beaut Modded AP from a member yesterday, not that keen in the pics but love it once I had it on my wrist ! I was also fortunate to try out a Hublot BB too again loved it on the wrist :bangin:  bugger another one on the wishlist !  

• Like 1