When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If you had the cash... is it really financially savy to buy reps as opposed to gens?

Sxhawnn

The REP world gives me so many more options than I would ever be able to afford in GENs.   I have a GEN Chronomat Evo, which has been sitting in my watch box since finding the rep world.   My current favorite rep, by a wide margin is the Pam Bronzo, which is out of my league in the GEN world.   I see them on the "bay" in the low $20's.    My Seawolf (yellow dial) rep is next on my favorite list, but the rep is so well done that I cannot imagine wanting the gen.   Same with my new LMPO from Toro.   A wonderful rep!    Once you get beyond 4 or 5 watches, adding others causes wrist time to suffer, making large cash outlays for gens even more unattractive!   I'm up to 8 reps with a 9th (Super Avenger Blacksteel) en route as I type.   

BTW, my wife thinks I'm insane and addicted.    So far, I haven't argued the point!    :clap2:

I go for watches that I like.

And 90% of the time they're reps because I simply can't afford a gen one (except for the ones around the price of a rep, like the Junkers 6060-5)  :fool:

Actually, if I was plenty of good money, then probably I'd have spent them in something like this:

0067.jpg

And this:

12-13-135.jpg

Uh, I was nearly forgetting... And definitively this too:

_-Playboy-The-Mansion-Xbox-_.jpg

:partytime:  :partytime:  :partytime:

This is the perennial question around here.

I have some gens, but mostly reps ... you'd have to be Donald Trump to have my collection in gen.

I became fascinated with the counterfeiter's art years ago, when I was in the position to see things from a unique perspective, possessed of information most don't have - like what that Submariner actually costs Rolex to build.  

Further, most people have no idea what has gone on with the government's efforts AGAINST Rolex and others - just Google:

Rolex Anti Trust USA v Rolex

We can argue the relative merits of the gen manufacturer's position on reps all day long, and I am well aware of the law as applies to this matter, but I got intrigued with the ability some of these manufacturers have to build reps so incredibly similar to outrageously priced gens.  The bottom line for me is, in this Country, it is legal to buy them, own them, and wear them.  You just risk trouble with the law if you get involved with the manufacture or sale.

In any event, I enjoy the game, trying to find the best of whatever interests me, and acquiring the precious pieces that are not commonly available, like the Rolex GMT with a ETA 2893, the Pam 28 Sopras with the 2892, the basic Pam Luminor with the Swiss 6497 ... I have never claimed to be one of our knowledgeable member, it's a hobby, what can I say.

Also, as someone mentioned, my work involves me with a bad element - I'll give up my rep Pam 89 and get over it, but my gen Pam 88 could get me killed.

As for how the watches are represented to others, nobody ever asks, but I do like the line, "How do I know, I took it off a dead guy."  

Then there's another thing.  I really liked the Rolex DeapSea so I got a fabulous rep - in two days, I was tired of it. Just not the watch for me.  Imagine that with a gen.

What the H Factory doesn't isn't legal, but what they've done isn't legal either, so who's the bad guy here?

Finally, there's the people.  Over the years, I've met some really fascinating people thru this hobby.

Anyway, like I said, the law allows me to play with this, I enjoy it, the whole thing fascinates and intrigues me, so I enjoy and go right on playing the game.

Bill