When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cardboard, bubble wrap and sellotape must have gone up in cost lately!

fraggle42

For the sake of a 1" x 5" piece of bubble wrap, a 1/2" by 4" piece of old cardboard and 3 bits of sellotape, the bracelet I received today has nice scratches on the clasp and a deep ding to boot.

The seller is a member on another forum (RG), but it's only common sense!

Take a minute and bloody pack whatever it is properly!!

God! Morons!

<rant over>

• Like 1

Very simple. Get the item get bubble wrap..put item in bubble wrap fold it over get nice clear tape,tape the bubble wrap. Put it in box then put news paper so it stays secure then mail it. Oh yeah tape the box up securely too. You never know if the tape is going to unglue. Oh wait this is how i do do it. Never had a problem.

I tend to overpack, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. It too amazes me how some folks stick something as sensitive as a watch in a wrap of paper towels, stick that in a soft side envelope and post it. then they are surprised when the watch arrives in a non operating state. Packing material is certainly not expensive. Priority mail boxes are free for the asking at your local post office. If you get packages, most are packed with packing peanuts and bubble wrap. i very seldom have had to buy bubble wrap, and never packing peanuts.  ijust save the stuff that arrives at my house. So guys, try to visualize the worst case scenario of postal employees playing football with your packages and pack accordingly.

I took a couple of pics of the scratches and replies to the For Sale thread letting the seller know what I thought.

A bit unkind perhaps, but I tried to be polite and just let the seller know that packing things well would be appreciated by me and every other buyer he dealt with.

As panerai153 said, just imagine someone playing footie with the package - would the contents survive intact and in perfect working condition? I know a lot would say "They'll never treat packages like that!" but just do a search on YouTube, there's lots of videos showing delivery people throwing packages around, into the back of trucks, out the back of trucks, other boxes landing "Thump!" on top of your little box.

Heck, I've seen the folks at my local PO take one of my packages and turn around and throw it into a big rolling bin that's parked about 10 feet behind the counter!!! So if they will treat a package like that right in front of the customer, just think what happens behind that wall behind the counter? If you ask them" why did you throw my package"? Their answer will be" we asked you if there was anything liquid, fragile or breakable in the package, you said no"!!

I have received complete watches wrapped in toilet tissue. Tightly mind you.

My favorite was an old movement I bought last year that came wrapped in two feminine pads. Luckily the pads were unused. Both instances have been from eBay purchases.