When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

first and possibly only 5513 project.... throwing in the towel!

madmex

being obsessed with the submariner for a while, and liking the no-date versions... I saw the "cartel" had these vintage subs.  I decided to take a stab at em.  I got this one from Trusty or PC a few years ago (oops can't remember, but it was one of the two).

I started by removing some text above Submariner, and then using a matte paint on the dial.  I then purchased a Clark's crystal which had the sharper edges that I like (vs the big bubble which I was really unfamiliar with).  I drilled the lug holes, fit gen spec bars in there... I redid the crown guards which were hideous.. and tried to age the case a little bit.  I intended to refinish it to look like a serviced sub, not a beat up one.  I intended to purchase a gen or a better crown, because it is an eyesore, but I think I give up lol.  The end-links I purchased on the 'bay as well, but they just didn't come together like I expected them to they are loose and wobble and ugh... I made a little mod to the molehill bezel insert triangle luminous dot... intending to purchase one of the nice replacement ones that look gen....

Is it good? is it so so? is it bad? I've seen some amazing super high $$ frankens here, this one was built on a budget and it got too tedious and expensive and I'm not sure I like it to wear it.   

behold.... the watch of my dreams (more like an ongoing nightmare).... I'm too much of a perfectionist and I don't see this project going anywhere lol... is that normal?! or is time to ditch at sea?

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

Any similar experiences, comments, questions... welcome

You can ditch it my way if you dont want it and i will do a TLC on it i could do with another 55 :) it seems like you want to get rid of it ? what movement you got residing in there ?

Edited by aeromatic

Movement was sold as Swiss 2824. I am not sure if it is a clone or not but it looks like a new gold plated eta. I will open and snap pics. It's high beat 28,800. What would you do to it? Continue modding? It's a nice thought if it sings to you. I have very mixed feelings about it. Lol

The dial print isn't all that good- it should be gilt, but it looks yellow.

If you put a Clark's crystal on there, that's a plus.

CGs aren't the stubby short ones like on a Josh vintage sub, that's good news.

A gen crown and tube would help.

But if you don't like the watch, it's either time to move on or just wear it as a beater and tear it up.