When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aging a "Pepsi" insert in 90sec

CptTripps

I got a few generic inserts to play with. Lets see if I can do 40yrs of aging in under 2min.

Step 1: Buy an insert.

post-53458-137471662948.jpg

Step 2: Buy drain cleaner.

post-53458-137471669338.jpg

Step 3: Find a plastic dish and add 1/4" of aforementioned cleaner.

post-53458-137471681574.jpg

Step 4: Grab a kabob skewer or something WOODEN to pull the insert.

post-53458-137471691972.jpg

Step 5: Be careful not to touch the insert with your fingers. Grease=bad. Plop the insert into the cleaner and watch it. At about 45sec, you'll see it start to change. At 60sec...PULL IT OUT WITH THE WOODEN STICK.

Step 6: Run it under hot water for 30sec.

Step 7: Run it under cold water for 60sec.

Here's what you get!

post-53458-13747170633.jpg

post-53458-137471708952.jpg

Viola!

Now drip some hydrochloric acid on it in ultra small drops and let them run.  Flush with lots of water after varying the time of each drop.  Baking soda is your friend.

Second thought, submerce the bezel up to the color change line and dampen the intensity of the red.

Edited by BigBuys

Second thought, submerse the bezel up to the color change line and dampen the intensity of the red.

Thought about that. I may do it tomorrow. Just to see.

I have another 1675 on the way, so I'm going to load this one up on that watch to see what it looks like. Should be cool.

Unfortunately, I forgot that I'd already shaved the one insert to fit a rep case, so when I tried to put it on a gen bezel today, it was loose. Bummer.

I'm going to do it to the other insert later today. Then, double-dip the red section to see if that has a better effect on it. I'm also going to wax the back, so it doesn't fade at the same rate. Genuinely faded inserts aren't faded on the back. ;-)

This is going to look real cool on a Pan-Am dial that I have. Should make for a bad-ass watch!

I'm going to get my rep Sub and throw it on the motorway at lunchtime.

By the time I find it again at 3 in the morning it should have a lovely aged look :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2