When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Customs And Shipping

mrnixon

I am planning to buy a PAM from one of the recommended dealers from the forum. The one I will go for will most likely be Andrew. Have had some contact with him and he seems very professional. My worry now is how I shall get the watch back home. I am currently living temporarily in Istanbul, normally in Sweden. Most likely the Swedish customs are less likely to keep the watch, but on the other hand the risk that they discover it is probably larger. So my question is how do you people on the forum get your watches home? All advice is appreciated.

If it's just one watch, I would probably just wear it...

Even if it's a gold rolex and you are in a tshirt and shorts it's probably not going ot raise many eyebrows...

Now if you are going to be carrying 3 or 4 or more then I would start looking at shipping them or at least spreading them around different suitcaes...

Don't worry just wear it as usual, or send it to yourself by secure mail prior to leaving Turkey, Christmas is coming.

If you do wear it remember to carry some KY jelly.

Cheers Johnkaz. :blink:

PS our postings have coincided, don't worry it will get to you.

Edited by Johnkaz

So you are wanting to have it shipped to Sweden so it will be there when you arrive home? Just have it shipped however the dealer normally does... these guys know their game and I would go with whatever they recommend...

Check with your dealer what the policy is if the watch is seized by customes.

So you are wanting to have it shipped to Sweden so it will be there when you arrive home? Just have it shipped however the dealer normally does... these guys know their game and I would go with whatever they recommend...

Check with your dealer what the policy is if the watch is seized by customes.

Do not know exactly how the Swedish Customs work, My self in Norway, and it seems to me that Norwegian Customs is f.... out of work these days.

Past two weeks my watch from Neil was stopped, opened/controlled and delayed in Norwegian Customs for two weeks. Released today. Probably enclosed a bill of 25% VAT and some Handling fee..............

Well, - I was kind of mentally prepared for this as it was sent from Bangkok.

What I was not prepared for was a watch sent to me from Sweden was stopped for control/opening this evening. Normally almost anything that can be carried "slips" through from Sweden to Norway.

I have been buying watches (gens and reps) to Norway from Far East for several years (China, Thailand, Phillipines) and has very very rarely experienced what's happening now. At least never twice in a row.

To the picture is that both stopped shipments was sent as Registered Mail by "ordinary" Postal service to reduce shipping cost compared to more expensive services.

My suggestion is that you buy from a dealer that is willing to - at your extra cost - ship by a EMS, UPS og FedEx "door to door" service. Will cost you a bit, but my experience is that such shipping service "carries" your parsel through the dark (k)night of Customs Officers looking for disguised bombs or drugs from Far East and 316 Steel-hard Raindeer [censored] from Lappland Sweden.

Believe it or not, I ordered a something under an alias from oversease once (legit too) and the mailman gave me flack about it...

He said ths time he would deliver, but if the name on the package didn't reasonably match the resident of the address, especially if it was from oversease they may not deliver or release.

I think I just got a [censored] mailman, but apparently it's legit (called post office to check, for security (at least around me) they are allowed to not release packages at their discretion for this reason).

They could have your address blacklisted too

Jokes aside......

EU has practised fairly strong handling of replicas. Norway is not EU-member and has handled replicas more liberate than EU.

I feel confident that what happens is "only" bureaucratic coincidence and not targeted actions neither against me or against replicas in general.

In a couple of days I will have the result of the opening of the shipment from Bangkok. Will keep you informed.

Do you remember the scene in Pulp Fiction where Christopher Walkens character is speaking to the young Butch about his Fathers watch? :whistling: Just kidding, seriously though, if you just pack them in your suitcase like anything else, you will have no problems at all. On return to USA in customs just write 'gift items' on the form and you will be just fine. I have made many trips from the far east and the first few times make you a little concerned about customs, but it is quite a breeze.

Jokes aside......

EU has practised fairly strong handling of replicas. Norway is not EU-member and has handled replicas more liberate than EU.

I feel confident that what happens is "only" bureaucratic coincidence and not targeted actions neither against me or against replicas in general.

In a couple of days I will have the result of the opening of the shipment from Bangkok. Will keep you informed.

Thanks I would appreciate if you could inform us how it went. I guess the Swedish customs can be rather similar to the Norwegian. It is not the end of the world if I have to pay VAT on top of the purchase price, but maybe it would also be considered a crime and I would get in trouble for trying to import a fake watch?