When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Buying Advice

urbanshogun

Hi guys, I got my first job out of university, and I will treat myself to a gen. I have limited myself to £2000.

Some watches i've considered:

Sinn (U1, GSG9, EZM3)

Vintage DateJust (Champagne Dial, Leather Band)

Omega (2531, Moonwatch)

Vintage JLC dress watches

I was wondering if you have any other suggestions for watches in this range (used or new).  

Also, some opinions from people who have bought at real life auctions... I have found a place in my city with watch auctions about three times a month. Looking at the online catalogue (fellows.co.uk), the estimates seem quite low. For example there are moon watches estimated at £800-1200, but I thought the going rate is more like £1800-2000. Are there hidden costs with buying at auction? Or do these places put low estimates to lure people in? Is there a danger I might get a rep sold to me?

Thanks for reading. 

Fellows is good i have used them in the past. One thing to note is that you have to pay 20% vat on all purchases, so if you buy for £2000 you will actually pay £2400.

Most watches dont come with boxes/papers either.

It can be a cheap way to get a watch that would be otherwise unobtainable.

Don't get mislead by the estimated, the W196 was auctioned for about $27mil, estimate was about 1/10 of it. And like devilseam said, don't forget VAT and the buyer's premium!

But to your other question: why don't you buy the watch you like most?