When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oysterdate Gen Ebay

Jamiemac13

The good points if your looking for a like new watch, redialed and polished, and looks like they did an excellent job.

And a good price for all that work.

The bad points are like anything, originality is lost.

Just depends on your needs. It's a good clean solid watch for a good price.

I'd check out the seller thoroughly though.

• Like 1

The 6694 is 35mm and wore very nice on my small wrist. The one your asking about is only 30, I'd think it might really be small on a mans wrist. I'm not a fan of the big watches either, I wear the 39-40mm main Rolex.

• Like 1

The black refinished dial watch looks good except for all the corrosion specks between the lugs. The case has been expertly refinished and looks good where the gasket seals between the case/caseback but specks like this are a sign of corrosion...maybe under the bezel and maybe only on the surface...who knows? It is probably an average watch that had been extensively worked over to sell.

The white dial watch is Ok but has quite a bit of case corrosion showing...and it is 52 years old.

I stay away from case corrosion if I can because it never gets any better and there is no fix other than cutting the gasket area down or welding and machining. I had one case that looked good except there were pits between the lugs and it turned out there was a hole rotted all the way through the top of the case under the bezel. The bottom side of the case, gasket area etc looked good.

Have a low mileage 1603 DJ from the early 1970s that has not been buffed/polished and it looks 90%+ on the outside but there is a bit of corrosion on the case where the gasket seals and a chunk rotted out of the caseback. You never know what is hiding out of sight on these things.

cc33:

"...try to stay away from ebay if you can generally better and more honest deals to be had on the forums."

Agree 100%, eBay is a minefield.