When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO NAVY- needs an update

Please take a macro closeup of that crown. Unfortunately you won't be able to fit a gen on as the threading is different.

Thank you. I figured as much but wasn't sure about the GEN

Looks like it's time to scrap the watch. Better send it to me to dispose of properly. ;)

You might want to try Ryan if Josh can not get it. From what I hear, he is to go to guy for AP parts.

great advice, thank you

I can share one other suggestion that I made to another member (might be on one of the other forums). I would think that the rubber piece from one of the cheap quartz ROO's might fit, but don't hold me to that as I have not tried it personally.

The problem that you face with this suggestion is that you have a Navy. It might be difficult to find a quartz model with blue rubber on the crown and if you do the blue might not match the pushers.

I can share one other suggestion that I made to another member (might be on one of the other forums). I would think that the rubber piece from one of the cheap quartz ROO's might fit, but don't hold me to that as I have not tried it personally.

The problem that you face with this suggestion is that you have a Navy. It might be difficult to find a quartz model with blue rubber on the crown and if you do the blue might not match the pushers.

Agreed, on all fronts. I considered this but since the color isn't 100 anyway, the thought of it being off by just a little would make me crazy. I also couldn't find any other models that even had blue. I was one of the first people to get this watch, which is crazy that it still works and that this is the only issue I have had. You can find the thread and pictures here http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/118759-ap-roo-navy/#entry851887

That is pretty incredible that it has made it 3 years if that was one of the models before they added the extra jewel. Do you wear it regularly or is more of a box queen? Well I just looked through 25 pages of quartz AP's and I found 2 that appear to have blue pushers and crown's, but it is kind of hard to tell from the photos http://v.yupoo.com/photos/swisswatch/168890318/ & http://v.yupoo.com/photos/swisswatch/168890347/

Edited by jamesfl

Thanks for the info and taking the time to look into it. As far as the movement. Yeah it's amazing. I've had really good luck with all my watches except the SS RC. That died quick. All of my watches except my Hublot where part of the older batch. As for the navy it was my number one till the rubber wore off the crown. Today I wear my rosé gold RC the most. I'm not aware of a change in jewel upgrade in movement. I recently came back from a hiatus. That said. My silver theme is running slow. Joshua offered for me to send it. On a lark I thought I would try a local watch shop. They where aware of super reps. Ps. I said it was a movie prop and I needed it working for a scene. Ha. I live in Los Angeles after all. The watch maker reported he could replace the movement and install it for 295. Part of me wants to do it and be done with it. Sending to china is not ideal. But if there is a new movement like you say maybe I should send it.

Unless the watchmaker you spoke to has a rep movement to install I can not see how he plans to replace the movement and keep the secs@12.

The movement was improved by adding an extra jewel to help reduce the friction. Most reports are that the fix has for the most parts resolved the issues with the older movements.

Here is one thread that discussed when the movement was updated.

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=146262

Sounds like you might have found a rep friendly smith if he knows where to order a modified a7750 for a ROO. I know what you mean about all the different models. The main problem I have with the ROO's is the cost to play. They are on the more expensive side, then add a service, AR, relume, and high quality strap and you easily close to $1500 if not more. Panda, Navy, Don Ramon, RGRC, and Chronopassion all look great to me.

Edited by jamesfl

I've been so lucky with my purchases and the amount of time they have lasted. So often I see guys who purchase and they die quickly. I was also taught early on to turn off the watch when not using it and as I have rotated my collection, I believe that's also what's helped five them longevity. However I have not sent out for modification. Now I am more and more interested to do so. Of my collection the panda is my everyday favorite. The SS RC did not get mods but should have. There's a post I made years ago describing a rep gen encounter I had and the crazy noticinle difference. Interesting enough the rise gold RC is a way better hold up side by side even without mod. Now I may want to get some AR but I don't feel like putting any more money in and then concern about the movement. They are expensive paperweights. But if this local smith is for real I believe I am in luck. What's your experience with mods and who have you used. In us?

Update on navy. I had lunch at a sushi counter in Los Angeles. Was wearing my rose gold ap. guy next to me says great watch and we start talking. Wouldn't you know he's a watch designer and worked on the ap rose gold. I was curious how this was going to play out so I said nothing. Not to trick him but to test the quality of the rep. He held it. He looked it up and down and handed it back. We continued our discussion and at the end of lunch we exchanged information. I had mentioned the navy crown stopper and he said, as I was expecting that I would have to send the watch in to ap. he then said it would take forever and he said he would attempt to acquire one for me. If that happens I wear seriously freak out.

Secondly, how he didn't know right off the bat it was a rep is crazy.

My Panda. I took a shot and I purchased a new movement locally a block from my house and I'm just waiting for it to arrive and be installed. Really interested to see if that little test works.

The next thing in updating, I would like to put some lime and perhaps ar on my Rosé Gold Rubber Clad. Would love to find someone locally.

I will update as I get more info on the movement and crown rubber.

I have not been able to. I am still awaiting a few options but that includes a gen which I'm told the threading wont fit. Thanks for looking into it. Here's a weird thought. What if I attempted to dye the black to blue. Sounds a bit dicey but I'm really at a loss here. I have this beautiful piece with the matching ap brands strap and I can't wear it with no rubber on the crow.

• 1 month later...

So, after an exhaustive search to try and source a replacement rubber crown cover. I gave up. Such a bummer as I really love this watch and it is still going from a 2009 purchase. I decided instead of selling it for parts or tossing it or putting it in a drawer for good or worse yet, wearing it with a stripped crown. I decided to get creative. Now, before you bash me for my poor work. Let me tell you I am NO artist but only wanted to try and create a quick solution that let me wear this thing at least around the house without feeling it looked "so" awful. 

I went to a local art store and watched the paint to the blue on the pushers and painted the crown best I could with my shakey add hands and eyes. It's not great but considering my options it's fine for now.....

now I am board and want a new watch!

post-18322-0-01876900-1382110133_thumb.j

post-18322-0-56819400-1382110145_thumb.j

post-18322-0-80321900-1382110169_thumb.p

post-18322-0-38798100-1382110182_thumb.j

post-18322-0-66597700-1382110194_thumb.p

post-18322-0-39570400-1382110216_thumb.p

post-18322-0-60622500-1382110239_thumb.j