When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Breitling Bentley GT

rionrlty

Hi folks.  I am relatively new on the RWG forum but have been collecting reps, especially Breitlings, for nearly 20 years.  This included one of the earliest low beat A7750 Navitimer Fighters, which has now been frankened into a more accurate Fighters with gen parts and a gen Breitling B13 movement by Rolexman.  I am also in process with a second TT Navitimer with a gen ETA7750 and gen blue dial.

I recently traded one of my Navitimers for a Bentley GT, thanks to fellow member db1. 

I have what may be a silly question for some of you more knowledgeable Breitling guys.  Right from the beginning all of the Bentleys have had a small spring loaded button on the left side of the case that bears resemblance to a nitrogen relief valve.  As it seems counter intuitive to have this on a Chronograph, which doesn't even have screw down pushers I would like to know the purpose if any for this small button.

Thanks in advance for the help.

post-51783-0-93913800-1378024817_thumb.j 

This has been the subject of much confusion in the past both with rep and gen owners and even dealers selling gens !!

It exists to accomodate and cover a gear-type mechanism that allows the bezel to rotate smoothly rather than in clicks - the way most bezels rotate, e.g., 1 click per minute on dial, 2 clicks per minute on dial. This way precise conversions can be made with the slide rule. The circular piece on the side has NO external function for you in operating the watch.

So basically the valve you're referring to is actually a cover which houses a gear mechanism that allows the outer bezel to turn the inner bezel while allowing the crystal to remain stationary. Here is a quote and picture from the Breitling for Bentley Chronolog:

"The outer ring is activated by rotating the ratcheted bezel, which drives a pinion and arbor acting on the mobile disc. This clever mechanical device guarantees compliance with all the water-resitance parameters."

• Like 1

No probs mate..I think its more of a historic choice in design for the Navi's... plus methods are slightly different...

But it always makes me laff when I go in an AD and some snotty sales guy starts telling me down his nose that its a Helium release valve :) :)

I dont usually say anything unless he is particularly snobby towards me :) Then I go for it ...after he has dug himself deep enough... :)