When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sapphire Crystal

watchman12345

There was a spot of dirt on the dial of my PO and i took it to a watchsmith to remove it. When I got the watch back it looked like there was specks of dust on the inside of the crystal. I asked him and he said it wasnt dust but little micro scratches on the crystal. Now I never noticed them before i took it into him but I cant proove he did it. Did anyone ever come accross this before? You can only see them in daylight when looking at the watch at an angle.Looks very much like dust. Strange.

There was a spot of dirt on the dial of my PO and i took it to a watchsmith to remove it. When I got the watch back it looked like there was specks of dust on the inside of the crystal. I asked him and he said it wasnt dust but little micro scratches on the crystal. Now I never noticed them before i took it into him but I cant proove he did it. Did anyone ever come accross this before? You can only see them in daylight when looking at the watch at an angle.Looks very much like dust. Strange.

Could be scratches on the AR coat on the inside.... Those don't come out unless you remove the coating.

Blast him anyway. Im almost sure it was the watchsmith that did it. Is a replacement crystal with the same ar ect (4th gen 42mm PO) expensive?

These aren't Seikos. Replacement parts are sometimes difficult if not impossible to source. You might ask the dealer if he has access to a replacement but it's a crap shoot.

I too bet they are on AR coating rather than on the sapphire surface.

While I recently discovered (the hard way) that some special silicate grinds may actually scratch (not polish) sapphire, I strongly doubt that scratches would look like dust spots in such a case.

Your best option is to completely remove the AR coating. If those spots disappear that way, then they will get confirmed not affecting the sapphire, and you may have the crystal AR coated again afterwards.

I too bet they are on AR coating rather than on the sapphire surface.

While I recently discovered (the hard way) that some special silicate grinds may actually scratch (not polish) sapphire, I strongly doubt that scratches would look like dust spots in such a case.

Your best option is to completely remove the AR coating. If those spots disappear that way, then they will get confirmed not affecting the sapphire, and you may have the crystal AR coated again afterwards.

Removing the AR coating is slighlty above my abilities. I guess Ill just have to live with it...

Removing the AR coating is slighlty above my abilities.

Just FYI, naphta and other petroleum-based solvents usually do the trick.

Common abrasive paste mixed with petroleum is even more effective (it won't scratch sapphire due to its hardness).

Just FYI, naphta and other petroleum-based solvents usually do the trick.

Common abrasive paste mixed with petroleum is even more effective (it won't scratch sapphire due to its hardness).

Thanks for that. Andrew got back to me and said he'd see what he could do to help! That guy is absoloutley amazing. Wouldnt get his level of service from anyone. Unreal.

i never cease to be amazed by the level of service we get from our top dealers here. in many cases, in particular with regard to post-sale issues, they go beyond even the highest levels of customer service.

IMHO, nordstroms and top end boutiques like marc jacobs are the only other retailers that provide a service level that even comes close to what our dealers provide.

dt

Thanks for that. Andrew got back to me and said he'd see what he could do to help! That guy is absoloutley amazing. Wouldnt get his level of service from anyone. Unreal.

i never cease to be amazed by the level of service we get from our top dealers here. in many cases, in particular with regard to post-sale issues, they go beyond even the highest levels of customer service.

IMHO, nordstroms and top end boutiques like marc jacobs are the only other retailers that provide a service level that even comes close to what our dealers provide.

dt

Here here.

dt

That's why the chinese awakening is so dangerous for the occidental economy !!!!!!

:whistling: