When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Remove lume on these hour markers?

ramviksrille

So, Before wearing my black dial sosf i decided to try to relume the hour markers. Its one of these a21j´s with sapphire crystal and decent quality. Side by side with my h-factory asian clone sosf the lume is one of the weak points on this one.

Disassembly was fairly easy, The markers was glued with some not so strong glue so i just pushed from the back and out they popped. Then i had to remove the old lume. Ive done this may times before on hands but not markers like this. I tried all i had at home:

Nail polish remover (without acetone)

Something i cant translate atm, Google translate wants it to be White gas. Directly translated its "chemically clean petrol"

Solvent naphtha

Ammonia

Red ethanol

So is acetone the only way to go or what am i missing?

IMAG1843_zpseab122df.jpg

When I get one that just won't dissolve with acetone, I usually pull it out, try to chip a little off the top with a razor or screwdriver, then back into the acetone. Sometimes just getting some penetration into it for the acetone to work is what you need.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Agree on the chipping.... the best tool I accidentally found was the long pin  from a set of hand removers..in the centre within the spring

Also be careful you aint digging at the marker itself...obvious I know but easy done.. :)

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks. Im just afraid of damaging the tiny polished area around the lume. To polish it again is something i dont want to do.

Il give something very sharp a try at it.

Yep - that's why I think it's easier to try to get in there then let the acetone work, rather than dig the whole thing out manually.  Less chance of damaging the marker

Sometimes if you can get a chip in there down far enough, it wil actually just dissolve enough around the bottom and edges that the whole lump of lume will fall out.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I decided that the powders i had didn't live up to expectations so i bought a new batch. And while at it i drilled out the old lume on the bezel. One thing bothering me is the second hand that dont have the red painting correctly done on it. I will have to either remove the old paint or just paint it over. I already had the second hand in acetone to remove the lume and the paint still remains. Il do some tests on whats the best compromise. IMAG0051_zpsedaefbd9.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well. Did the paint alright. Relumed and was not pleased with the result and decided to go from gen look to, just more lume. Result was raised lume on the markers and to much on the hands.

Since I'm bored with it I will put it together and take some pics some day. The batch of binder I was pleased with had a trip to the floor. The next one was not good. I think that's were I lost it.