When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

372 with Sapphire?

calvin99

Anyone swapped out the plexi on the 372 rep for a sapphire crystal? Is it possible? If so - any lead on what parts I'd need and where to get them?

My 372 plexi is scratched to hell already (in the space of a few weeks). Would rather just replace it with a sapphire if possible. 

Thanks in advance,

Colin

I am curious about this too, especially with regards to the gen.  I have a gen 372 but I rarely wear it, and when I do I wear it gingerly, because of the plexi.  i know Panerai did this for authenticity's sake with regards to the original vintage models, but they should have given the ownders with an option of a sapphire crystal.  To their credit, though, they had the foresight of including an extra plexi.  Also, about the "warm glow" from the plexi, it is all BS, I put my 372 beside a 422 (which I believe has the same case, but a sapphire crystal) and I could not tell the difference between the two crystals.

post-56747-0-04679000-1380865563_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am curious about this too, especially with regards to the gen. I have a gen 372 but I rarely wear it, and when I do I wear it gingerly, because of the plexi. i know Panerai did this for authenticity's sake with regards to the original vintage models, but they should have given the ownders with an option of a sapphire crystal. To their credit, though, they had the foresight of including an extra plexi. Also, about the "warm glow" from the plexi, it is all BS, I put my 372 beside a 422 (which I believe has the same case, but a sapphire crystal) and I could not tell the difference between the two crystals.

DSC00005.jpg

The 422 has indeed the same case, only a thicker case back. 422 is also heavier, more metal + sapphire over plexi

but i thought "plexy is sexy"....or is that another cheezy 'risti slogan that I forgot to have made into a bumper sticker, signature banner, keychain, t-shirt coffee mug...oh shit I went off on a tangent... :bangin:

Anyway.... ;)

Love, love, love both these watches but would prefer sapphire any day to the "plastic" fake vintage hype of plexy

these 47mm beasts are GOING to get dinged up a lot for sure.

Thanks for sharing the 372 and 422 with us!

:clap2:

The beauty of  a plexi is you can polish out scratches much more easily than a sapphire crystal and put it back to almost OTB....

There are plexi glass polishing kits you can buy and if you want a tutorial check out the vintage sections on RG or at Gordons (Nightwatch) website.... or better still the homage forum.

Replacing might be possible but not with like for like in terms of dimensions ie sitting heights, shape etc and would possibly need liquid gasket etc assuming the rep is not a compression fit...

There are many plexi crystals available that could well fit this model... but would need to know the dimensions...

I aint sure why you would want to though given it would change the look of it... in terms of the glass in the bezel... thinking out loud however if the bezel on the rep wont allow it...what might be an alternative way is to see if a Fiddy bezel and crystal would fit or be made to fit to the case...but again it is changing that overall look...