When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can someone help me to fix it?

dvn

If this is a watch you want to keep, it might pay to have the watchmaker do a complete overhaul on the movement while he has it.

According to wiseguy1481 post "The movement was just servied about 3-4 weeks ago by MD2020" and the watch repairer said it is a nice and clean movement so it should last a long time and it should be waterproof too. He has been in business for the last 25-30 years and repairing rolex is his expertise.

Thanks again everyone for the inputs and pointers. I have my eye on the complete gen version from his nephew who owns a jewelery store nearby.

:bangin: stem fell out because the keyless works is out of alignment....the keyless works will have to be unassembled and reassembled.the detent spring is not locking into place....it's an easy fix..but a little bit of work...ask me how I know...... :)

+1 When the stem is out there is nothing to hold the castle wheel up under the yoke and it falls down. When you try to insert the stem it just jams. If everything is well the stem should insert fairly easily.

It looks like the Stem retainer screw has loosened or was not tight enough. 

ETA 28xx movements do not have stem retainer screws.

On a rolex though, he's gonna have to deal with the dwo, because you can't screw the cover plate for the time set gears back on with the overlay in place.

It can be done, it's just an enormous pain in the ass.

+ 1  You have to make a tool to grab the jumper spring and pull it in (gently).  It's very doable.

Or push it from the other side - I think sneed is saying it's possible to screw the cover on with the DWO attached though, rather than getting the datewheel itself back on, while the cover is already attached (by getting the spring out of the way) .   I had mentioned the spring method in my post, I just know that the first couple times I tried it, the DW wasn't settled 100%, it jammed, and some teeth on the calendar gear got mangled.  So I didn't really think that method was worth someone trying if they didn't already know what they were doing.    Now that I've done it a few times, it's WAY easier than realigning the overlay.  Way way easier. 

• 7 months later...
Guest mikemcnair

Not to beat a dead horse, but one suggestion I have for few installing the stem on any auto movement is to NOT PUSH the "release button" while pushing the stem back into the movement.

Yup, I said NOT TO push the button while reinserting the stem. After doing this hundreds (maybe thousands) of times, I have found it super easy to use the tip of the stem to help align the castle and clutch, and then the stem just clicks in. In fact, I find pushing the "button" actually makes it harder to install a stem.

Your results/opinions may vary.