When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to tell if a 240 is a stem version (from one pic)

DC109

Sorry if this has been covered here before... I promise I tried and failed to get an answer with the native and site directed Google search!

I've been talking to a guy selling an SF240 that has a key winder, but he's not sure if it is a stem wound also.  From a pic he sent me, it looks like there is space in the case to accept a stem, but I only want to buy if this thing will definitely NOT require conversion to accept a stem.  What say the experts?

T2eC16dHJGwFFZfT-3tKBSVfEuISqw60_57_zps8

Avoid key-wound 240 movements.  Actually double key-wound.  Clock and alarm are wound separately.  Not usable.

Send a PM to member repwatch who built the 203 8-day franken.  He went through an expensive search before finding a workable 240 movement and can give you more great insight.

Edited by projectologist

I just saw that sweet 203... I'll definitely shoot him a PM.  

So from what you guys are saying, am I right to understand this is not a stem-wound version?  I thought there were some that could use a key but also already had the keyless works, and since this one had that correctly-placed case hole, I was hoping this was one.