When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A2836-2 7 year old Datewheel replace + overlay

EbolaVirus

My old faithful SSD started developing a reduction in smoothness when changing dates. I also noticed that the date started becoming inaccurate on its daily change.

I pulled it apart last night and noticed these burrs on the Datewheel teeth.

post-53033-138438546359.jpg

Has anyone else noticed these hammer marks on the teeth?

Will a gen date wheel have the same problem?

post-53033-138438548896.jpg

Given that I've worn it nearly daily for 5 of the last 7 years and that until yesterday it had never had a service of any kind, I'm not too upset. ;)

Since I was replacing the Datewheel I also did my first Datewheel overlay.

post-53033-138438563372.jpg

Not quite perfect, but acceptable for my first try. I will do it again another time.

Edited by EbolaVirus

No doubt there will be some wear on the dw teeth over time but I have not seen damage like this on high mileage swiss Etas, there might be something else wrong too. I do not work on etaclones unless I absolutely have to so I am not familiar with dw troubles on them.

Maybe the dw is dragging on something and it is taking too much force to turn it. This may also explain why the date is not centering in the window every day.

Before putting it all back together, it might be a good idea to swap out all the date parts, not just the dw and overlay.

Be sure to run the date change through a couple days by turning the crown/hands and a couple months by quick set on the bench...then after you get it back together with the movement mounted in the case, turn the dw around through a couple more days with the crown/hands and see if there is any binding at all. If no binding, run it around a couple months using the quick set feature while looking closely at the dw through the date window to see if it is staying flat all the way around.

Case clamps and screws can force the movement down against the dial and cause the dw to stick or drag (especially with an overlay) and this is why it needs to be checked both out of the case and mounted in the case. It is also a good idea to put a very small amount of grease (KT22 etc) under the minute wheel where the minute wheel turns against the 'H' spring (aka canon pinion). These Etas have a cp like a 218 Accutron and they are pretty tough but running the calendar around with the crown/hands is still rough on it.

"A2836-2 7 year old Date wheel replace + overlay" Before spending much $$ to repair an etaclone, I would look around for a swiss eta 2836.

• Like 1