When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Tropic 39 Superdome For Me!

M5Man

It surely will, welcome to the club ;)

Also shows you don't need to break the 150 mark to bag one of these beasties, although the days of 100 a pop are long gone :(

Nanuq - do you remember our threads about generic copies, when I posted that infamous picture of a fat roll of supposed superdomes???

Do ya? Well lookie HERE!

:Jumpy: or :g:

Wow - I stole the thing!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260057139637

Im so happy - modding will soon take over my life and the assimilation will be complete.....

Congrats, you were lucky I didn't pick this up for my SRSD.. last time it was listed.I'm changing to white SD and passed on it.....looking for a Flat one...This was a relist from 2 weeks back..

you saved a few bucks too..

Have fun.. :D

just got a few tropic 19 domes for my 55xx subs. decided to try a few from another source than my regular as they were closer and all seemed well until i took one out and its fatter than the others.

i think somewhere a 39 superdome ended up in a 19 packet.

im going to take proper measurements tomorrow but its def not right.

ill let you guys know incase anyones interested if it turns out to be the case.

id sell just for the price of another domed 19 to replace it which im getting for $50 at the moment. seems wrong to want more though ill also need to try and check theres nothing fishy going on.

just got a few tropic 19 domes for my 55xx subs. decided to try a few from another source than my regular as they were closer and all seemed well until i took one out and its fatter than the others.

i think somewhere a 39 superdome ended up in a 19 packet.

im going to take proper measurements tomorrow but its def not right.

ill let you guys know incase anyones interested if it turns out to be the case.

id sell just for the price of another domed 19 to replace it which im getting for $50 at the moment. seems wrong to want more though ill also need to try and check theres nothing fishy going on.

I'm afraid reading through this narrative, there is indeed something VERY fishy going on. Genuine T19 superdomes are even rarer than T39s - rare as hens teeth in fact. The likelihood of you picking up "a few" plus a stowaway T39 and those being genuine NOS makes me think :brow::g:

Nanuq and I have discussed this whole issue at length many times. Please post some pics, but from your description, source, cost, I suspect strongly you have been passed generic copies - unlike like the seller in that ebay link I posted, not everyone's as honest in their description of what's genuine NOS and what's a generic tropic...a genuine wax bag with a biro'd '19' or '39' on it means absolutely nothing.

i can assure you that they arent copies, thats why im not opening them up for general info where i get them from.

while i like reps, some gen parts are becoming impossible to get, exagerated due to rep owners "upgrading" and ive no intention of having this happen to the 19s i can get. at the moment ive got a nice pile of 5 sitting here for my very gen indeed 5512 and already on its way to me 5513.

ive tried several generics and the difference between the rolex item and the copy is pretty immediate without even going anywhere near the watch.

it seems that while getting domed 19s isnt the easiest task in the world, it isnt the hardest in the vintage rolex community either.

in actual fact it took me longer to get a pair or 580 endlinks for instance.

the validity of the superdomed 39 isnt confirmed as ive no gen to check against.

i myself am suspicous about its origin and did clearly state this above, given this round of 3 crystal purchase contained it and its from a source ive never tried before has made me more so. FYI ive got a gen 127 with cyclops here i got in a set of 19s previously from a clearance sale that ive still to do something with so its less strange that it may seem.

as i said, id investigate it with some calipers and see what i can find out and if gen, offer it off at the cost to me however tbh, your post has made me rather think why bother.

maybe im just easily irritated on a sunday morning.

Edited by thewightstuff

i can assure you that they arent copies, thats why im not opening them up for general info where i get them from.

while i like reps, some gen parts are becoming impossible to get, exagerated due to rep owners "upgrading" and ive no intention of having this happen to the 19s i can get. at the moment ive got a nice pile of 5 sitting here for my very gen indeed 5512 and already on its way to me 5513.

ive tried several generics and the difference between the rolex item and the copy is pretty immediate without even going anywhere near the watch.

it seems that while getting domed 19s isnt the easiest task in the world, it isnt the hardest in the vintage rolex community either.

in actual fact it took me longer to get a pair or 580 endlinks for instance.

the validity of the superdomed 39 isnt confirmed as ive no gen to check against.

i myself am suspicous about its origin and did clearly state this above, given this round of 3 crystal purchase contained it and its from a source ive never tried before has made me more so. FYI ive got a gen 127 with cyclops here i got in a set of 19s previously from a clearance sale that ive still to do something with so its less strange that it may seem.

as i said, id investigate it with some calipers and see what i can find out and if gen, offer it off at the cost to me however tbh, your post has made me rather think why bother.

maybe im just easily irritated on a sunday morning.

Honestly, my post wasn't meant to cast aspersions, merely question the validity of your find. There have been some murky goings-on in recent times with some so-called stashes of rare vintage tropics appearing from nowhere and I don't think there's any doubt that 1:1 copies are out in the open market. My own motives are purely to prevent others getting ripped off by inferior misrepresented crystals, that's all.

For instance, my own genuine T39 superdome looks different to certain photos of supposed NOS superdomes, there's an easy-ish 'tell' from what I've seen and I'll happily confirm or not if yours is gen if you post or PM me detailed photos. Nanuq will back me up here and since he's in the US may be able to help you further.

As for your T19 stash, you are indeed exceptionally lucky if you have a 5 of them! Best we agree to disagree on their availaibility even within collector circles (at least here in EU) but I fancy an aforementioned Alaskan will make you an offer you can't refuse on one ;)