When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best way to check if watch is stolen ?

Mr.NiceGuy

Can any one give me any advice about this ?

I have chance to buy very expensive watch with inhouse movment and limited edition of pure gold it is Glasshutte but im afraid something is not right...no papers no box..even he say it is not stolen..

So is there chance i can check it and if it is nothing happend i give back watch and walk a way? if not GREAT i buy it!

I know that this forum is full of ppl who can help me about this..

Thank You!

First place to start is with makers. Contact them with serial number just email customer services.

Insurance companies tend to inform them of serial numbers that are subject to a claim.

They can also confirm they won't tell you but can confirm the name of the first owner or last service etc not always but sometimes so if guy says he had it from new you and where he bought it then they can confirm if that is correct.

Also depending where you are and he is you can do a local crime search with the local police etc

Or just by going on gen forums you can post the same thread say in the Glashutte sub section or some forums have stolen watches listed.

However it's easier to research reference of the seller more often than not so start there too

I have heard of them on another forum but I am not sure about them I guess its like a hpi check with a car

And relies on info being on there and being accurate

I would start with customer service and research the buyer and follow those leads

Tnx for answer ? what do you think about this http://www.watchsearcher.com/en/ ??

I've seen their ads before, probably legit, but their database is, I believe, limited to watches that are registered with them. Because the watches have to be registered, I doubt that it is very extensive.

Like Pete said, contact customer service, and give them the serial# they may be able to help. Also check the sellers local police dept and ask them if they happen to keep a list of stolen watches. Problem is with the ease of moving all sorts of goods around the country and the world, a smart thief would get the watch to someone else across country or in another part of the world where the watch would appear to be clean, so no guarantee, unless the guy is a dealer or person with a good reputation for selling high end watches.

Always buy the seller! If the deal seems to good to be true, it probably Is.