When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone any experience working with Sateene or similar greaseless compounds?

PeteM

I have ordered some to play with and wondered if anyone had experience in working with it...

I appreciate its a cutting compound.... although I could never find if it had a comparable normal compound (apart from the cut factor)

I do have plenty of cases to play with and I have seen some interesting but breif comments in using it on the wonderful world of the web...

I see most guys say to use it with a felt or medium stitched cotton wheel .. I generally hate using felt myself and prefer sisal and cotton grades up from there..

I do have plenty of menzerna compounds and wheels of varying quality and grades and i have taught myself how to get a brush finish and a satin finish plus of course other types of finish including mirror etc and also refurbs... I have used in those cases various grades of grit or compound etc etc

I ahve also learnt the difference between buffing, polishing and colouring metal... ( or more or less smiley.gif )

I am trying to work my way through the various grades of satin or brushed finish and to that end I want follow the grades that define various types of satin or brushed finishes

Basically work through #1 to #8 of the grades of satin finish and see for myself how I can create them...

Normally using previous methods on say #4 I would polish grit through to say 180 and then polish back to 80 or 120 I generally use 3M polishing papers rather than other alumiunium oxide papers..

However I have never tried the Sateen greaseless compound...

Do any of you guys use this and if so what have you found it best to use?

For example for a #4 do you polish up to 180 or say go up to 120 and then polish down to 120 or 80 and then apply sateene or say polish up to 180 say and polish down using the sateene 120 or 80 grit ?

And in addition what wheels do you use? Felt ? Medium stitch cotton or other...can you vary the colour and finish by the choice of wheels like you can with normal buffing and polishing compounds?

Any general pointers would be welcome... smiley.gif

FYI = I use either a dremel or rigid drill set up

Sorry guys... I realise it might sound a little strange..

Basically I have been teaching myself to refurb cases and bracelets, plus jewellery etc...

I have managed to get my head round using typical cutting compunds, and using different mopping wheels plus grit and polishing paper etc etc

But I am now looking at improving my satin or brushed finish... so far I have been using the quality cutting compounds and/or the grit paper or polishing paper WD40 etc plus varying the mopping wheels

So for example if I was redoing a watch case I would start prehaps with a sisal wheel and grey compound... then a tight stitched wheel and green compund and then a medium stitched wheel and blue compund and then a pink compound followed by a loose wheel and a white or yellow compound (though I use polinoxx) ..now that would take me up to mirror polish so if doing a satin etc I would stop at one stage during that depending on finish desired and use maybe a grit paper (aluminium oxide) or a polishing paper of a grade needed... now thsi works and you can achieve various types of brushed and satin finish

However satin/brushed finish is defined in grades and numbered generally 1 to 8

I would like to work on achieving each grade where relevant to watch cases and jewellery etc and maybe the odd fridge or sink ;)

For example a grade 4 satin finish is typical referred to as the architectural/brushed/satin finish it has uniform hairline strokes of 120/80 grit and has a semi polished appearance.... now that finish is first polished up to a 120/180 grit then softened down using a greaseless compound wheras say a grade 6 is called a fine satin finish and is uniform hairline strokes but has a duller or less reflective finish than a grade 4 and is achieved by polishing with a 220/280 grit then softened with a 220 grit.... so basically the hairlines are softer and less reflective than a grade 4..

I have practiced and achieved this using tools and compounds as mentioned above.... but I know that professional polishers use a greaseless compound to achieve that polish down (polish down means you basically have gone further up the smoothness to get a reflected finish but then have gone back in the process to get the final finish)

Greaseless compounds are a grit compound (you can get various size grits) but unlike say rouge etc it is not binded with a wax etc but by a glue so that it doesnt leave wax residue and the grit finish is more uniform and cleaner...

I have order some and was wondering if any guys had experience using it?

As I hear that mopping wheel choice is more crucial in its use... and some guys suggest using a felt wheel ...I hate felt wheels ...they tend to scratch up a finish but not sure if that is better in this instance... or if another method is more advisable

I am just looking to save some trail and error time if possible when it arrives :)

I hope that makes sense..

I would be happy to put something together if it is something a few guys would want..

I have started my own experiments/trail and errors with the sateene compund now so I guess the thread question is moot now.. :)