When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 5513 case v.s. Yuki 5513

dbane883

Building any vintage can be a very rewarding experience. Whether its a big budget, or one that's more friendly on the wallet.

Given some of the higher end choices of Phong, InGod, and Yuki cases as a base, I decided to go for the Yuki because I felt it had the right balance of accuracy relative to price. But its difficult to gauge this without a side by side comparison with a gen case. I will attempt to do so for your benefit now.

From face on, Yuki has done a good job overall with the general shape from a distance. The "tritium" dot is very good on the insert, however the insert itself is quite poor. The bezel teeth are a bit shallow, but acceptable. Crystal is actually acceptable. Lugs look pretty good. The gen case on the bottom has no doubt been thinned slightly over time from a couple of polishes.:
je4ady6a.jpg

Case back on the Yuki is excellent. However seems to be a bit more of a "bubble" compared to gen. Mind you, my gen case back might have become flatter over the years if it was still in place in a crystal press as the retaining ring was installed and removed. Tough to say:
ryda6e3y.jpg
pa6yge3y.jpg

Close up of lug comparison:
a6y9y8ez.jpg
vu9ymedy.jpg

Note how the sides of the lugs on the gen thin out so that they sneak under the bezel. The Yuki is a bit piggish and just grazes the bezel as the lug merges with the crown guard.

Gen:
4a9aruta.jpg

Yuki:
ryzydahy.jpg

Speaking of CG's, the Yuki could use a mild shaving. Even gen 5513's can vary, but Yuki is a bit of a porker in this department...although the general shape of them are quite good
ujagame3.jpg

Now a glaring tell on reps is usually the backside of the crown guards. Ingods used to be horrific. Yuki's is not great. Opening at the base of the tube is about 1-1.5 mm too wide compared to gen. Definitely have seen worse. Id say this is something they should try to improve:
ede4e2am.jpg

I'd say the side profile is quite nice. Bit more of an "arc" or teardrop shape on the gen, but reasonable effort here.
a2ytuvyj.jpg
e4a9ader.jpg

Caseback stamping in the Yuki is phenomenal... But no one but you will see it:
pupegysu.jpg

The Yuki case engraving is excellent as well.
Gen:
ube3ypaq.jpg

Yuki:
ejupyzyb.jpg

Overall, I'd say the Yuki case is a great start for a 5513 project with an 8/10 dbane score. Case could use some thinning, CG shaving. Any proficient Dremel user can improve these areas. With some elbow grease and a gen insert and crown, You'll have yourself a solid foundation for a terrific watch. There are very good rep 5513 dials for ETA movements that could be used as a start, but I believe this case is worthy of a gen dial and cal 1520. Start saving boys!

Thanks for the pics and the comparo. 

What year is your gen case from? 

I have a 1520 and (relumed) gen dial and I've been considering the Yuki case for the project.  This makes it much easier to see where the work needs to go.

The 5513 was produced for so many years with so many slight variations and so many cases have suffered so many varying degrees of abuse that I think it may be impossible to definitively have a single perfect rep case.  No matter what you do, some guy will show up with a gen that will be different.

Thanks for the pics and the comparo. 

What year is your gen case from? 

I have a 1520 and (relumed) gen dial and I've been considering the Yuki case for the project.  This makes it much easier to see where the work needs to go.

The 5513 was produced for so many years with so many slight variations and so many cases have suffered so many varying degrees of abuse that I think it may be impossible to definitively have a single perfect rep case.  No matter what you do, some guy will show up with a gen that will be different.

My case is stamped as '67.. yes, you're right.. Tough to compare just one era of 5513 cases...  I guess this is specifically a comparison of a mid'60's case to the Yuki

Well let me see how my 5513 case will be finished its in shipping at the moment ! the crown guards i will shave by hand if required ,thanks for a great review i purchased a super eta 5513 dial from a rwg member and im looking forward to fitting this in the yuki case !!!

Edited by aeromatic