When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will The Real Ar Coating Please Stand Up!

Guest submersible24g

Guest submersible24g

I for one am sick and tired of dealers and factories claiming their watches have "light AR". As far as I am concerned, "light AR" means NO AR to me. It either "has" AR or it "does not" have AR.

From now on if a watch is avdertised as "light AR" I am passing it by. nothing worse than strapping on a Pam with no AR unless its a vintage. nothing worse than putting on a Breitling and no AR. or an Omega PO with no AR. might as well grabbed a $20 Timex at Walmart and wrote "PANERAI" in sharpie across the dial IMHO.

When we want AR crystals, this is what we want. now who's with me????

B)

post-1688-1165098651_thumb.jpg

Edited by submersible24g

I have only one watch with AR - a gen UN 1846 Chronometer, when you look at it stright on you really can't see the crystal reflection, you fell like you could reach and touch the dial - it's uncanny. It's actually a bit unsettling.

I haven't seen a rep with true AR coating yet.

Guest submersible24g

thats exactly how my genuine Chonomat Evo is. its crazy to look at the dial straight on. almost as if there were no crystal at all.

look at these two shots. one is my gen Evo and the other is the rep Evo. both have AR but notice on the genuine that the window reflection you can barely see. both watches were at the same angle. but the rep you can clearly see the window reflection in the corner.

Edited by submersible24g

I will also agree.

The "light AR" is mainly and frankly speaking pure crap.

A watch with no AR is like a watch with a mirror on the crystal. You can comb your hair but you can't see the time. It really "kills" the watch.

The worst effect of it (lack of AR) you get it on black and blue dial watches.

Is a bit less annoying on white dials and much better with acrylic crystals (mainly vintage watches).

I have only one watch with AR - a gen UN 1846 Chronometer, when you look at it stright on you really can't see the crystal reflection, you fell like you could reach and touch the dial - it's uncanny. It's actually a bit unsettling.

I haven't seen a rep with true AR coating yet.

the ar on my 195 from davidsen and my 113 and navitimer from ruby is exactly like the ar on my new glasses from my eye doctor.

you can see the reflection from the light in it's normal color and you see a blue reflection right next to it. the only difference is the 195 is more blue-purplel than my watches from ruby or my glasses, like the ar is heavier on it or something.