When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6536 / 5508 build

ghost

I recently came into a 5508 service dial. The background to this is that i already have a Ubi-stein 5508 (Re: All parts Gen).

Now i have had a 1030 movement lying around collecting dust in my safe. So i thought maybe , after consulting with ubi, i could build a 5508 with the 1030. Of course, i didn't take into account the fact that the dial feet are differently placed on the 1030 as opposed to the 1530(which is what the 5508 runs on). 

Now, i don't really want to spend big bucks on another 1530 movement. And as it stands, my 1030 is going to sit this one out yet again! I don't feel like breaking off the dial feet of a svc dial, coz that just breaks my heart. So...any suggestions?

I was toying with the idea of using a ladies ETA movement like the ones BK used in his Wm9 V2 subs, and making holes in the movement spacer. Not sure if that'd work.

Oh and, should i build a 5508 or turn it into a 6536? Far as i know, the 6536 dial also reads 100m = 330ft. Unlike the rest of the big crowns.

I'm thinking a tiger case or so? Not sure how high the yield is in plumbing for a MQ or Phong Case. I'd read some of the comparos, and the difference isn't so staggering to justify the disparity in price (maybe i'm just too cheap after having squandered all my money already).

Apologies for another exhausting post! This is my first foray into the BIg Crown Arena. 

I would be interested in knowing if the 5508 dial fits in the tiger case. Also if a 1530 movement fits without spacers or modification.

I have a theory that the tiger case is based off an actual 5508 rather than the typical big crown replica cases available elsewhere that take a larger dial or the high dollar 6538 cases available from phong or yuki.

If so I may try a gen movement rep 5510 dial in my tiger case.

Ah ok gotcha. I happen to love the look of a service dial on a 5508 or 6536/1. But why make another that will never compare to your first? Tiger case is thick and actually none of the aftermarket cases are thin enough. It will look silly compared to the one you have. Why not sell the service dial and use the cash to build a 6538 big crown. You have the 1030 mvmt so get a phong case and t17, 8mm gen crown really helps and a gilt dial/hands..