When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

watch parts

umairarif

"I would like to know what is most expensive part in an automatic watch?"

Usually the balance complete or main plate.

Balance complete = balance wheel with hairspring, balance staff, roller/jewel etc ready to go.  

"Also from Rolex, Breitling, Omega, Tag and pam which gen parts are cheaper?"

Any standard Eta part if the movement is Eta based. Swiss 'in house' movements are another story...nothing is cheap now and many swiss companies will try to force you to pay for a 'complete overhaul' even if you only need a $20 part. Rolex and Omega parts are probably easiest to find but prices are rapidly rising.

This is one big reason why high grade, high priced replicas are such a success. You can buy a replica TAG, Breitling, Pam, or Rolex replica that will fool 90% of the Gomers 90% of the time for 10% of the price. 

"I would like to know what is most expensive part in an automatic watch?"

Usually the balance complete or main plate.

Balance complete = balance wheel with hairspring, balance staff, roller/jewel etc ready to go.

"Also from Rolex, Breitling, Omega, Tag and pam which gen parts are cheaper?"

Any standard Eta part if the movement is Eta based. Swiss 'in house' movements are another story...nothing is cheap now and many swiss companies will try to force you to pay for a 'complete overhaul' even if you only need a $20 part. Rolex and Omega parts are probably easiest to find but prices are rapidly rising.

This is one big reason why high grade, high priced replicas are such a success. You can buy a replica TAG, Breitling, Pam, or Rolex replica that will fool 90% of the Gomers 90% of the time for 10% of the price.

and when we are talking about parts apart from movement which brand is expensive and hard to find like bracelets, glasses, dials etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"and when we are talking about parts apart from movement which brand is expensive and hard to find like bracelets, glasses, dials etc"

Many Rolex parts are fairly easy to find because there are so many 'dealers' selling genuine and aftmkt parts on the internet. The trouble is many parts are replica or aftmkt and claimed to be genuine. Prices for guaranteed genuine parts are very high.

Examples:

1570 reversers, I paid $25 each in the early 2000's The last one I bought in July 2013 was $95.

I paid $185 for a new 1570 balance complete in the early 2000's. Now they are going for $450 or so. 

New gold 6.0mm crowns were $35 and new gold 7.0mm submariner crowns were $75. Steel 6.0mm were $20 while steel 7.0mm crowns were $35. Look on eBay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-GOLD-CROWN-for-submariner-NOS-241-24-702-8-C-11-IN-FACTORY-PACKAGE-/151181007615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2333171aff

TAG Heuer controls case parts but crowns, crystals, bezel inserts etc are available from some supply houses and on the internet...most parts are for earlier models though.

Breitling parts are tightly controlled but there are crowns, bracelet parts etc available on the internet.

Omega is not as bad right now because many supply houses still sell genuine Omega parts to independent repair shops. I do not look for this to last much longer however and prices have gone up on many Omega parts 100% to 200% while availability has gone down in the past 2 or 3 years.

There is not much related to the above brands priced reasonably today.

Of all the brands mentioned above, the most affordable and trouble free watch would probably be a good used quartz TAG Heuer 'time and date' Aquaracer etc with an Eta movement.

The above comes from 40 years trading and working on watches. Someone new at the game may have a bright and sunny outlook on this subject.

but i have read many posts here people asking where to get gen parts and most replied contact the rolex or breitling or an AD but they will b very expensive. If you say gen parts can be found online but no guaranty they will be gen right? so whats the affordable way for some one who is just an end user and know nothing about how to check if parts are legit or gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk