When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona SS @6 vs @9

philbone

Hi Folks,

After a great deal of reading and searching...

I am torn between 2 choices:

Silix has a seconds @9 model for $225 on their site   (they also have a 21J version for cheap - like $72 !)

and Trusty Time has a seconds @6 for $268 on their site

In understand that the @9 is going to be more reliable but that the @6 looks more authentic with better build and correct subdial spacing.

My question is which to get... IF the @6 goes wrong I know I can open it to either graphite lube it or even remove a wheel to prevent it functioning as anything but a timekeeper.

BUT are the looks of the @9 that remarkably different?

What are your thoughts please?  ...don't pull any punches!

I understand these dealers are reputable as I also wish to buy the wife a women's Franck Muller, white face/black number...

Thank you 

Phil

I read it - what a really good explanation of the changes over time!

I guess the @9 can be an ok pass for an earlier 16520 apart from the dial spacing.  Perhaps I am better off with that more reliable @9 movement rather than the @6 even though the @6 looks fantastic!

...anyone know how good (or bad) the @9 looks?  In the photos I see online the dial seems very bright white with a vague bluish hue to it - looks plastic like.

Thanks

Phil

I hear you Jimmy,

A little about myself...  I have some really nice genuine watches, such as a Pasha chromo Automatic and a vintage automatic gold Longines, but I travel a lot and am reluctant to take my nice watches when I go to South America or parts of Europe - that is why I am looking for a nice rep watch.  Shame about the Daytonas as I would love to have one for travel purposes.  I wish they could make the movements better.

Buying a vintage would be good but I would still feel nervous about traveling with it...

...my predicament :-(

Thanks guys,

Phil

If you have security concerns when travelling, why would you even consider wearing a rep Daytona?

That watch is easily recognizable as a Rolex, and it could be removed from you in an unpleasant way.

Personally I wear a modest Seiko when I travel, don't want to attract attention.