When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 176 Movement 6497 Issue

mjmj

Just thought to ask the PAM experts on the movement issue I have with my PAM 176.

I noticed that the dial was loose in the case and somehow the hands were stuck to the dial and moving in the case with the dial. I went on to open it thinking that the dial had come lose and that I can just secure it again. However upon opening it up I realised that the rotor holding the hands had broken off the movement.

Please have a look at the pics below. Is this an easy fix? or do I need a new movement?

I would appreciate all your experts help and advice please..

8vsv.jpgjvx1.jpga70t.jpg

Thank you MJ

I am by no means an expert but one of two things have happened. Do you have the center wheel removed in your pictures? I am looking from my phone and can't really tell. If you do, the the cannon pinion probably came off of the center wheel post. If you haven't removed the center wheel, then the post has snapped off and is inside of the cannon pinion.

If the cannon pinion simply came off, you will have to reattach it and remove the hands. Then tighten the crimp so that it will stay on the center wheel.

If the center wheel post broke off inside the cannon pinion, you will need a new center wheel and a new cannon pinion (unless you can get the broken pivot out. You will still need to remove the hands to get to the hour wheel and also reinstall everything.

Certainly not a waste of a movement in my opinion. Just needs a little TLC. Best of luck!

Blimey, if I am seeing what I think I'm seeing that's bodging to a whole new level to me?

I see no centre post that the canon pinion (the smaller wheel attached to the back of your dial) pushes on to. The post should stick out through the centre of the movement.

Now it was either never there and so everything was held together by sheer luck or the watch has taken quite a knock and as said above the centre post has broken inside the cannon pinion?

There are also no dial feet on the back of the dial to secure the dial to the movement.

Is the movement still working ok?

You could try and re-bodge it by putting double sided sticky tape on the back of the dial and sticking it all back together and hope for the best.

Or do it properly with a new cannon pinion and centre wheel as advised above. Also dial dots or double sided tape to secure the dial.

Do bare in mind though that a new asian 6497 goes for around £25-30 ($40-$45?)

Thank you so much guys for all the help. Yes I think it got knocked when it was in the gym bag when it dropped. In my opinion, I think the post is broken or there wasn't one. So I will try source an A6947 and in the mean time will use the double sided tape to see if it works.

Where would be a great place to order a panerai decorated A6947 which has been modded to work without the second hand subdial post  @9 as its a PAM 176 that does not have the secs at 9?

All help is graciously appreciated. :)