When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

dial size for jmb 1016 case?

kin tama

JMB´s case is very very nice!

I would warmly recommend you that case, as a lot of people have built 1016 Franken`s based on it (me inclusive).

It will accept a dial up to 28mm (at a max 28,26mm the "game is over").

Smaller than 28mm dials are not recommended!

Don´t worry if you find a nice dial but in 29mm (a pricey example is NDtrading/Minh ... for example).

Dials can be downsized, if you have the right tools and know-how!

Though, it is hard to up size a dial that is too small for a specific case. In this case someone with the right tools and knowledge has to lathe you a precise fitting ring around the dial (stepped and glued to the dial).

Something like the movement spacer ring, but flatter and tighter!

Here is some example from the internet on how to downsize a dial:

You would need a "mainplate" on which you would attach the dial with it´s dial feet, locked* (very important) in the slots where they belong to!

In the middle part of the "mainplate" you need to attach a screw/bolt etc., centred very precise of course.

Then attach it to a drill/dremel with slow speed and with a not too rough grade sandpaper attached to a hard surface (for a precise filed dial edge) you can slowly start to file down the edge.

Key moment is to have a "vacuum cleaner" (with small socket) catching the fine dust right near the edge where you sand, to avoid the precious dial to get pretty dirty and uncleanable!

vc3a.pngp9e6.png

*Have a look at the left picture, that hook on the right edge of the mainplate is for locking the dial feet.

Please share your results when you finish your project or as a work on progress :)

Good luck!

Edited by blue.

Thanks preach...i think i read here rhat mahands dial sizes can fluctuate...do you remember the mm size of your dial? Best regards, kt

No...sorry, I never did measure one.  I have used three of his dials though.  I have used two in 1675s and haven't had a problems with any. 

Just a note...JMBs cases are not lug-drilled, so if you get one from him have him go ahead and drill the lugs.  And you'll need his bezel.  None like it...except gen...$$$$$$.