When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rose Gold Rubber Clad information

panerai153

Could anyone tell me when the AP ROO RGRC reps changed over to the new model with the RG surrounds on the subdials and the RG AP logo? I was looking through the Rubberclad  photo thread over on RepGeek, and I saw one photo that was captioned 2006, so I know from that they have been around for a good while, but I was interested in when the model changed over to the newer version.

Thanks A

So mine could be as old as 8-9 years or as young as 2 years. Thinking that it is closer to the 2 year s young, but really no way of knowing. The previous owner bought it here on RWG says about 8-9 months ago, but he can't remember the name of the seller, and he is an infrequent visitor here. I went back and looked at the sales threads for RGRC's back in that time frame and their were several, but a couple didn't match the serial # and a couple of others didn't have photos up any longer as they were from photobucket. Not really important, just curious!!

Thanks A

So mine could be as old as 8-9 years or as young as 2 years. Thinking that it is closer to the 2 year s young, but really no way of knowing. The previous owner bought it here on RWG says about 8-9 months ago, but he can't remember the name of the seller, and he is an infrequent visitor here. I went back and looked at the sales threads for RGRC's back in that time frame and their were several, but a couple didn't match the serial # and a couple of others didn't have photos up any longer as they were from photobucket. Not really important, just curious!!

Hey mate

I am happy to see you getting into the ROOs.. chunky and beautiful watches, and something we have in common! ;)

To be honest, when I first started delving into the sec@12 ROOs, I had the same concerns you voiced in the other thread you started in this section.

My experience (do not construe this to be anything other than my personal POV please) is:

a. I started purchasing them in 2011 or so, bought about 5-6 of them, and the first few batches all gave me movement issues upon arrival, every single one of them. I bought them off a non TD site, and I suspected that he gave me all the crap stock.

b. I had them serviced after I found RWG. And yes, they work much better after that! Smooth, and reasonable PR (about 36hrs or so, but 30hrs is good for me as I cycle my watches)

c. I kept most of the serviced watches from the early batches, and sold 2 of them. They function well up to today, 3 years later. Even the timekeeping ability is good.

d. The later batches of ROOs (mid 2012 onwards) are sourced from the TDs here. I bought about 6-8 of these.They ALL arrived in good working condition, and none of them gave me movement issues. I usually would wear them for a week before sending them off for movement service. And they do keep time well, and exhibit reasonable power reserve, the best one went for about 42hrs.

e. Regarding the rep ROO movement, it is my opinion that yes, they did improve it, but definitely not by adding an additional jewel. The sec@12 was a known problem among the TDs, and something was done to improve the situation, but not eliminating the problem entirely. I have kept an unserviced ROO sec@12 bought in Mar 2013, and it is working fine till now in terms of start up, smoothness of movement, accuracy, and power reserve(touch wood).

f. Depending on the specific model, the mods, without going franken, are usually combinations of movement service (not a must in my experience but recommended), AR, lume, and strap change. The rep straps are rubbish and not something I even would use as collars for dead mice. :D. Some like to waterproof their watches but I seldom wear my watch for swimming or diving. Do note that some of the gen models have single AR, others have double AR.

g. Tells of a rep ROO

You need to know these, when you are spending relatively big money on a rep, as compared to buying other models of reps.

i. Hands pinion on several 42mm models (larger on the rep)

ii. Date window position and depth on the dial (slightly more to the right on the rep, touching the tachy ring in the lot of the rep models, Datewheel appears more "sunken" on gen)

iii. Crown/pusher alignment (crown is offset on the gen, aligned with the pushers on the rep)

iv. Lume (matters for some, and not for others)

v. Dial details (this is a generic rep, and not specific to ROO reps. Most of the ROO rep dials are done reasonably well)

vi. Strap quality (for hornback, less obvious for rubber).. When you order a rep ROO, an aftermarket or OEM strap is warranted in most cases

vii. The deployant clasp (no holes on the gen, holes on the rep) A slight problem when you order the RG models, as I have not seen a no-holes deployant clasp made for Rg models..

Well enough ramblings for now, PM me if you need any help buddy! ;)

Legend

Thank you very much. You have answered a lot of my questions and explained some things that are important to those if us who are just getting into the AP game.

They are beautiful watches and to my surprise, the 42mm models thus far are very comfortable.

Hi buddies!! Im happy to see u guys on this thread! Btw Mr. A great info regarding the tells on the roo rep. I guess it sums up the pareto of the rep tells for thr AProo. And great knowledge you have there too Mr. P

Take care you guys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the accolades, but I'm really, really and AP noob. Get me in vintage Rolex and now I might be able to hold my own, but here I'm a complete beginner. But as everyone knows, we all have to start somewhere, and most of us have to start at the bottom and work our way up. What is great about the forums is most people who are knowledgeable are more than willing to share their knowledge with others. It brings more people into the hobby, and certainly keeps more people involved when they feel comfortable about being in the group. And as we all know, the lifeblood of any forum is the involved, knowledgeable folks on the forum. a forum can't survive with folks coming in making a couple of posts, buy a watch or two and never return, it has to have continuity to have longevity. 

Hi buddies!! Im happy to see u guys on this thread! Btw Mr. A great info regarding the tells on the roo rep. I guess it sums up the pareto of the rep tells for thr AProo. And great knowledge you have there too Mr. P

Take care you guys :)

Pareto, Mr J? 

I learned about the Pareto principle in business school, which is the 80:20 law.

i.e. "20% of the people owns 80% of the wealth"

You meant to say "plethora" perhaps? :lol:

You're a good kid, J. I am glad to see you growing up in RWG. :D 

Hi mr. A, Yep2, by definition thats what pareto means. We also often use it to say it "covers about 80%" or the majority of. Or it could be we have abused it too much :p. But plethora sounds good too ;)

Lol yes I used that a few times in the manner you described but in my university days when casually chatting with pals.. ;)

Seriously though I am glad the ROO reps are improving, and do not have "a plethora" of flaws now. 

You be good now, don't go on a buying spree. ;)