When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winders

DynaStreetBob

Different movements require different turns per day to keep them wound. Some also are bidirectional winders vs. unidirectional winders. An ETA 2836 should have a TPD set between 650-800, bidirectional.

+1 

But I have let's say a 7750 and a 2836 next to each other (same winding program) and they wind very good :)

So here is my follow up question:

Can you damage the movement by overwinding or underwinding the movement?

So here is my follow up question:

Can you damage the movement by overwinding or underwinding the movement?

It's my understanding that the auto-winding mechanism in the movement has a clutch that prevents over winding. It just slips when excessive torque is reached. AFAIK the effects of under winding on a winder is that the watch is slow.... Same as if you weren't active enough to wind it yourself, not enough power is in the mainspring.

Been shopping for a bigger winder since I have bought many more watches since finding this place :pimp:   Some of the better winders actually have settings for each wheel.  For example an 8 watch winder holds 2 watches on each wheel.  Could set first wheel at 800 for 2 ETA 2836 then have a different setting for the next wheel based on the movement.  The winder I have now turns them all at the same speed with various movement and I have not had any problems with the watches, so not sure how important this is as jpz stated above may not make a difference.  Just thought it was cool.

Well, it might not be best to set the winder for the highest setting and put a watch on there and go away for a month before coming back. That sort of long span between putting the watch on the winder and removing it is probably best to find the most appropriate setting. I might have been out of line with my response, don't want to mislead guys with how to care for their watches. I was just thinking about the occasional over winding not the effects of perpetually keeping the movement at that high of power reserve. But what do I know about wonders, when I want my watch to keeps its power reserve when I'm not wearing them I give them to my sons (5 and 1) and they run around like wild banshees.

:bangin:

Jpz, hope you didn't take that the wrong way.  In essence I was agreeing with you. I am no expert either.  I do know my current winder is set at one speed (in the middle) and turns both ways.  I have had many different movements on there including gen Rolex and Omega and I have never had an issue with any of them.  Generally I run it during the day and turn it off at night.  I have left it running with watches in it for 2 weeks or so while on vacation and did not notice any problems.  You can see slight variations in time + or - depending on the movement, but not very much.  Just trying to shed some light on the topic with some of the new winder features.  Found a nice 8 watch winder on the bay (bunch of feedback here on the seller) with adjustable settings for each wheel for around $400 which seems to be a good price.  Found a article on the net regarding turn speeds for different movements.  I will try and find it again and post the link.