When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

molnija sliding pinion (is the castlewheel too small?)

chris5264

I took a break from the unitas to work on a few molnijas. I really like this movement but I'm starting to recall my issues with it which is all about the keyless works. Getting the stem to fit into the keyless works seems like a huge undertaking. The problem is that the sliding pinion is too small and the yoke slips out of the grove when you try to reinsert the stem. Now, I know one should remove the stem in the time setting position so minimize this, but i'm still getting this even in the time setting position...and this is with a well oiled stem. And each time the yoke slips out....I have to remove the hands,,,,etc....and start over. I put a unitas sliding pinion (I've read this is also called a castle wheel) in to see how this fits and it actually fits perfectly...but the gears don't line up on the setting wheel and winding pinion. This seems like a flaw in design but on the other hand..its a popular movement so it must be something I'm doing wrong. I have a cool project,,,its almost done...any advice would be appreciated.

thanks rollie...I've tried that over and over again.....perhaps I have the wrong stem? when I push the stem back into it...the yoke always slips from the castle wheel...I've tried both in time setting and in winding..the weird thing is the the stem seems to be correct...it all fits perfect if I take it out of the movement and directly place it on the stem..