When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Assembling A Panerai Case From Start

V

Well. I received a Jimmy fu case and bezel and glass and I want to assemble them.

Do I need a special tool like a crystal presser or something similar? Can be done with conventional tools?

Plus what is the metal thing that comes with the case? Jimmy says : 'The small metal ring is for the crown stern' Where do I put this? :blink:

162948-11894.jpg

162948-11895.jpg

162948-11896.jpg

You should have a crystal press to install the bezel ring and the crystal, anything else is risky or won't work. Especially for the crystal, trying to install it without a press is almost impossible.

The small tube looks like the crown tube, it needs to be pressed into the side of the case...

RG

THanks Rob.. I though so .. I need a crystal press.

ABout the small tube I cannot see how it can be pressed without sticking out of the case... :blink:

I ordered his case a while back and had no idea it would come in pieces. I got very lucky, I got both the front and back crystals and bezel on using a very cheap clamp from a hardware store. Also, I placed the case tube with the smallest part just in the case, then used my weight to press it in. I have a press now,,,much better way to go.

I ordered his case a while back and had no idea it would come in pieces. I got very lucky, I got both the front and back crystals and bezel on using a very cheap clamp from a hardware store. Also, I placed the case tube with the smallest part just in the case, then used my weight to press it in. I have a press now,,,much better way to go.

Yeap.. I guess I have to buy one myself.. How much do they cost?

Kostas, the case / stem tube should push into the case fairly easily and will protrude enough to allow the rubber seal inside the crown to be compressed when the CG lever is closed. Also the crown should not push fully against the case when closed - it is this 'sticking out' part of the tube which sets the crown at the correct position.

Jimmy's case and tube is exactly the same as the original Panerai item and it fits the genuine crown and crown guard 100% without any adjustment.

My experience is that a crystal / bezel press is a must, in order that the case can be assembled properly.