When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Much Have Reps Improved Over The Last 18 Months?

Raijor

I am new to the rep collecting world and new around here. The reps that I have purchased include an LV SUB which has been received and SS YACHT-MASTER I am waiting for. Both are from Andrew at Trusty Time. The LV SUB is amazing for a $188 U.S. watch. I have read about the differences between the current Rolex reps and the Gens and that has led me to wonder when reps began to get so good. I remember seeing the old quartz Rolex watches in the 80's which were easily seen as fakes but nothing between then and now. Does anybody have the history to share some of the evolution of the rep? Thanks in advance for your time.

My first rep was a President Green Gold Quartz in 1985. As maligned as it is, when the Chinese came out witha 7750 copy that started showing up in replicas and we got actual working chronographs, that was the Holy Grail for me.

The curve that represents accuracy and indistinguishability from genuines continues to get closer to the ultimate. The curve of mechanical reliability lags behind.

Along the same thread.. I'm curious about the manufacturers that are producing these incredible reps. They must have very sophisticated equipment and experience to make these so who the hell are these people and why don't they just design their own brands and sell them to the world? Not that I want them to stop supplying me w/ great reps but I just wonder if they are in some basement full of million dollar manufacturing machines spitting out panny's and rolex's? What's the scoop?