When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mechanical watch with alarm or chime

sirdiesel

hey guys,

i was wondering if there were mechanical reps with either alarm vibro or even better alarm chime. (or even time telling chime)

I have found some gen cheap poljot with vibro alarms, but its not as appealing as a chime, and since they are very old fashion none have display glass on the rear.

Any info on this would be appreciated

Cheap gens (under 1000$)

or reps of course.

Sirdiesel

Not exactly what You´re looking for because it´s got the swiss quartz - but looks like an auto:

Tag Heuer Aquaracer Grande Date Alarm - with a bit of luck available for eur 996,- (or used)

these are the references for both models: Also Called: WAP111ZBA0831
Notes: This is the 2012 update for the previous TAG Heuer Alarm model WAF111Z.BA0801

Curious to see if there is a reasonable mechanical one....

41eTNHKjEML._SX466_.jpg

Tudor used to make an alarm model called "Advisor" but I doubt anybody is repping it and I found one gen on fleabay for $2350 OBO.  They also added a new Advisor to the Heritage line but at around $5700 it's a bit above your limit...  I also see some old vintage Tissot mechanicals for pretty reasonable on fleabay...

None of the mechanical alarms are particularly melodic (all the ones I know under $10K, like the JLC Memovox and the Vulcain Cricket, buzz), and you're not going to find a cheap mechanical petite sonnerie or minute repeater with (or without) a display caseback. If you want something that alarms without a buzzing sound, then your only choice in your price point is quartz.

I suppose you could pick up a second hand pocket watch minute repeater like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Henry-Sandoz-5-Minute-Repeater-Chronograph-Hunter-Pocket-Watch-Serviced-/151254577805

And recase it as a wrist watch.

Bit more than your budget but I can't think of another way of doing it mechanically and "cheaply".

Apart the seconds hand this one is actually cool: Citizen Eco-Drive Alarm Chronograph Perpetual Calendar BL8000-54A Watch - See more at: http://www.creationwatches.com/products/citizen-perpetual-calendar-55/citizen-eco-drive-alarm-chronograph-perpetual-calendar-bl8000-54a-watch-2196.html#sthash.UE5i4j4o.dpuf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-jxWoUbxM

BL8000-54A_MED.jpg

One of the sweetest noises I've heard from a watch was the alarm of a JLC Memovox Tribute to Polaris.  (This is the reissue, not the original.)  Unlike most Memovoxes, and most alarm watches in general, it sounded like trilling bells rather than a joy buzzer.

Unfortunately, that was a $10K watch several years ago.  It hasn't gotten any cheaper.

EDIT: Found a video!  Audio quality isn't great, but you can still tell that the ringing is rather special.  Not even the more recent Tributes to Deep Sea sound like it: