When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hey all!

Hey everyone I am new to this forum and to gen/rep watches in general.  I have been obsessing on these AP watches since checking out all the different threads on here about them.  I'm planning on purchasing one sometime in the near future I'm just deciding whether to buy a new one from one of the preffered vendors or buying one from the private for sale boards. Im partial to the ROO but the other styles are great too.  Is there a general direction I should be looking as far as buying a quality rep that is close to the originals? I have no idea about the different movements or what makes on rep better than another.  I am researching and learning on my own but there is a lot to cover if anyone here would like to respond and give me some pointers it would be appreciated. I hope to become a known/respected member of this community and look forward to contributing to some converstations pertaining to this wonderful hobby.

Thanks again,

Zack

Hi, already finding Your ways around. If You are in EU You must choose the expensive via UK shipping option. Not all TD offer this and not all accept MasterCard. In my opinion for several reasons (price/accuracy/quality too) the most sensible start would be in researching the AP Diver and which of the latest models to get. Within the purchase process You will get some experience what to look for on the next purchase of the more difficult to research ones. Good luck

I live in the US so I was kind of leaning towards buy a used one from another member who lives in the states and avoid getting caught up in customs. As far as reps are concerned are they usually fairly well built? I mean obviously not as well as a gen but they don't generally just fall apart do they?

I live in the US so I was kind of leaning towards buy a used one from another member who lives in the states and avoid getting caught up in customs. As far as reps are concerned are they usually fairly well built? I mean obviously not as well as a gen but they don't generally just fall apart do they?

From my viewpoint buying M2M is a no brainer. Practically all of the reps as well as gen watches I own have been bought that way. Here's why I buy that way. First you can usually save a few bucks as most will be a little cheaper than brand new. Second as you said, no customs drama. The first guy took the customs risk for you. Shipped quickly USPS Priority and the watch is on your wrist in three days. And very important, most reps that develop problems will develop them pretty quickly, so if it is running OK, unless it gets messed up in shipping, which is possible ( tangled hairspring, or magnetized), for the most part they are good to go. Also, with AP ROO's I factor in a service, as they definitely will benefit from a good service, so if a watch has a known but fixable problem, I'm going to send it off and have it serviced, lumed ( if applicable) and the crystal and cyclops AR'ed anyway.

By and large the reps today, especially the high end ones are pretty well made watches, they don't "fall apart", but most will definitely benefit from a movement service if you plan to have the watch perform well over a good period of time.rep watches are well constructed, the weak point is the assembly. The rep factories are not like the genuine in Switzerland! The watches are assembled by folks who have minimal training in watch assembly, the environment may be dusty and dirty, the movements are usually dirty and dry, or over oiled with improper lubricants. In a lot of the rep factories, the guy/ gal that put your watch together may have been assembling IPhones, computers, or toasters last week!!They are not skilled watch technicians wearing white lab coats, operating in a "clean room" environment like their counterparts in genuine manufacture's assembly areas. If you realize this, and take it into consideration, along with the idea that the AP you paid 500 USD for is NOT the same as the 20k genuine, you will be fine. Reps are great, most of mine, especially after a movement service perform as good or better than my genuine watches. But, you have to remember that even though your AP ROO looks 95% like the genuine! it is not a genuine. If you want to take them several steps further, for another few thousand, you can have a rep that is 99% of the genuine.

Welcome aboard!! Do a lot of reading and research and you will be much better for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Panerai! Yes I have been reading non stop for the last couple of days trying to soak up everything I can about the APs in particular.  Just today I had to investigate what the sec@9 and 12 meant that's how new I am haha.  But yes you covered a lot of what I had in my mind already as far as the benefits of buying M2M.  I think I'll keep a close eye on the for sale boards and try to pic up a modded watch that has some of the cooler gen peices swapped into it.  Again when I get one I will probably not want to have it serviced if it means sending it out of the country I think I'm too paranoid about never seeing it again.  It's kind of a catch 22 in that way because a lot of the things I would eventually like done to the watch would mean sending it somewhere.  But for now I'll try to pick up one from a member and see where it goes from there.  I plan on purchasing more down the road and I can definately see the potential of becoming addicted to all of this  ;) 

Hey everyone I am new to this forum and to gen/rep watches in general.  I have been obsessing on these AP watches since checking out all the different threads on here about them.  I'm planning on purchasing one sometime in the near future I'm just deciding whether to buy a new one from one of the preffered vendors or buying one from the private for sale boards. Im partial to the ROO but the other styles are great too.  Is there a general direction I should be looking as far as buying a quality rep that is close to the originals? I have no idea about the different movements or what makes on rep better than another.  I am researching and learning on my own but there is a lot to cover if anyone here would like to respond and give me some pointers it would be appreciated. I hope to become a known/respected member of this community and look forward to contributing to some converstations pertaining to this wonderful hobby.

Thanks again,

Zack

Hello Zack and welcome to RWG and to my favorite section of the forum (besides the buy and sell section of course ;))

ROOs are beautiful watches and the reps are also very lovely if you learn to appreciate them at face (ok wrist) value. Like my friend panerai153 said, they can look 95% accurate for some models, but the weakness is the modified movement. To make things easier for yourself, buy a modded one from m2m sales if and when available. You got to move fast usually because they go faster than free blowjobs at the back alley :D :D

Most importantly, enjoy your learning curve and your stay here. You shall be enriched and enlightened!