When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Putting Back Asian 7750 To Its Case

takashi

Note: This one is a continuation of my previous post.

Now, time to assemble back the mess.

Hands already relumed and repainted, ready to be installed back.

163806-11687.jpg

I don't have any special tools to install the hand. So I trust my own bare finger :lol: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. ONE SHOULD NEVER TOUCH THE DIAL. USE A CHEAP BIC PEN OR A HAND SETTER.

163806-11688.jpg

This method will leave lots of grease on the dial.

Hands already installed

163806-11689.jpg

Use Rodico to clean up the mess on the dial. Dust blower comes into action too.

Prepare the case... Transfer the movement from holder to paper again. Remove any dust by using soft lint free cloth or dust blower is the best.

163806-11690.jpg

Align the movement into the case properly.. now you see it's in the case! But not properly "held".

163806-11691.jpg

Flip the case again... To align the movement into the case properly. Make sure it fits nicely. No force here.

163806-11692.jpg

Let's install the crown. Same method. Push, hold and let it in. Again, no forcing here. This is a screw down case, you may need to push and

screw the crown in at the same time.

163806-11693.jpg

Do not forget to mount the movement to the case by using movement holders and screws (2 pairs that I said essential).

163806-11694.jpg

Install the rotor. Use your tweezer again to put it back in... It should snap in nicely. No force needed.

163806-11695.jpg

Don't forget the rotor screw too!

Now... the most important part of this pictorials. Applying silicon grease to the rubber seal. You need to apply it to:

a) Crown rubber seal (not shown).

B) Caseback rubber seal.

Check whether there's damage in the rubber seal (crack, etc.).

163806-11696.jpg

Apply the grease in moderation. Apply it uniformly to create a thin layer. Excessive grease may cause water to enter the case!

163806-11697.jpg

Put the caseback seal at the appropriate place. Close the caseback. Same as opening but this one turn it clockwise.

Do not over screw it (too tight).

163806-11698.jpg

Set the time to current time

163806-11699.jpg

Install the bracelet

163806-11700.jpg

Voila!

163806-11701.jpg

MORAL OF THE STORY:

This watch infact has never been serviced even after going thru all the steps above. I have applied the silicon grease PROPERLY on the respective seals but I CAN NOT GUARANTEE that this watch has been waterproofed. You need an equiptment to check whether a particular watch is waterproof. It looks something like this:

163806-11702.jpg

I hope you like my article... I skipped quite a lot of steps. We will learn together along the way. Have fun!!!!

Edited by takashi

Yikes! First you should never ever touch the dial, never, never, never!

If you don't have a hand setting tool you can get away with a BIRO/BIC pen ink inner or the plastic pen end now vacated by the ink filler.

Secondly, did you set the hands exactly at 12 midnight? Pull the crown out to the hand setting position, wind forward until the date just changes. Partially install the hour hand, wind forward another 24hrs and as you approach midnight note when the date changes. Readjust the hour hand if not exactly at 12. When happy fit the min hand and the seconds.

Yes. Installed the hour hand first, when the date click, it's exactly 12 midnight. Forward the hour hand again to make sure it's correct position. When the date click again, install the minute hands. It should align with the hour hand. Check again with forwarding the date. All ok then just put the Chrono second hands (doesn't matter at which point of day).

EDIT: BIC pen will scratch the hands, must use with Rodico. I trust my own finger :lol: Anyway, getting hand setters soon. So no worry.

Edited by takashi

EDIT: BIC pen will scratch the hands, must use with Rodico. I trust my own finger :lol: Anyway, getting hand setters soon. So no worry.

Using a Bic pen will NOT scratch the hands, but for $10 you can buy the correct tool to install hands... A Bic pen is 100% better than your fingers...never use your fingers on a watch without protecting it from the acid on your fingers with watch paper. Touching a dial is a NO NO at anytime, never touch a dial - ever...

Installing hands with your fingers is NOT recommended, in most cases, it will be impossible to get them to seat correctly.

If anyone is going to use this as a guide, plse for your own benifit, spend $10 on a hand setting tool and do it the RIGHT way...

Other than this point, nice tutorial and pictures.

RG

Just stop screwing till you feel slight resistance and the screw is in place. Screws on the movement are rather delicate. No forcing here..

Anyway, what happen if the dial got touched? I remove those prints using the Blu Tack.

EDIT: I see that you're referring to the caseback. Just screw it till you feel large resistance and can't go further. Perhaps experts can help on this?

Edited by takashi

Anyway, what happen if the dial got touched? I remove those prints using the Blu Tack.

On the dial you have, with a flat paint finish, you can remove the oil and acid from your fingers and the Rodico will not leave any marks.

On a Rolex Sub dial for example, or any with a high gloss, as soon as you touch it, you have to remove the finger print with the Rodico, problem is that now you have marks from the Rodico that you can't remove, no matter how hard you try...try it on a glossy dial and you will see what I mean...

Acid and finger prints are on thing, getting the hands to seat properly with your fingers is a big concern, I cant' see how it can be done with fingers alone...too risky, especilly when the tool is only $10...

Remember the golden rule of watchmaking (professional or amateur, makes no difference) - There are NO shortcuts - none....

RG