When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best gilt 6538 hands?

lukenorris2011

Hello all, firstly I have done my research,

And I'm aware of several dealers/ sellers that sell 6538 hands for the Gen Rolex 1030 movement. MQ, phong, cwp.

Too all those who have 6538 big crown builds, or anybody who has any knowledge can any of you kind guys please give your opinions on which you think are the best?

My super-franken big crown build is basically completed, but I'm not happy with the hands .

Thanks all .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in learning more about this one.  Can you share the details and specs of your build as well as pics?  Maybe you have already done this previously in another thread, but I would love to see your big boy, big crown build.  

I'm on the fence as to whether I should try my hand at a budget build first, to get the hang of it and practice doing things myself, or if I should just go all in and begin slowly acquiring the parts to do a big boy build, using a gen movement, that would last and give me enjoyment for a lifetime.

I'll probably end up starting with the budget build first to build up my skills and then slowly start acquiring the parts for the Frankenator.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Hello Adam, nice to see you back. The hands I have are from Ivan, I'm happy with the mins and hour hand, but the white lollipop is aged to much.

Problem is, I'm not sure if I want a white lollipop, or to go full gilt set????

Hey bud, was a well deserved break! I don't like the white seconds hand, I prefer full gilt but to each their own.. The white seconds hand just needs a tiny bit of ageing to look genuine, if yours is too far-gone ask ivan for a gilt seconds hand, you may like the look more.

Mendota, I'll start a new thread later detailing my build and a basic recipe that people can follow to achieve the same result

He's away for a bit, so will have to wait for his return. I'll let cc33 do the breakdowns for now, not only because my build is not fully complete, but because cc33 inspired me & schooled me with my build.

Not forgetting the great SSteel who has put some amazing craftsmanship into making my 6538 amazing.

All will be revealed in the very near future.!!

I'm interested in learning more about this one. Can you share the details and specs of your build as well as pics? Maybe you have already done this previously in another thread, but I would love to see your big boy, big crown build.

I'm on the fence as to whether I should try my hand at a budget build first, to get the hang of it and practice doing things myself, or if I should just go all in and begin slowly acquiring the parts to do a big boy build, using a gen movement, that would last and give me enjoyment for a lifetime.

I'll probably end up starting with the budget build first to build up my skills and then slowly start acquiring the parts for the Frankenator.

Some people like a budget build first, I personally skip this stage, but Instead do months of research so you know what your after. & of course help from fellow members is PRICELESS.

Go hard or go yard :)

LOL.  I've been gathering gen pics and links from Hodinkee and other vintage sites for about 2 years now.  I'm the king of wait and see!  :)  I was ready to pull the trigger on the Silix to start off a budget build back in fall of 2012 when those cases suddenly dried up.  Thankfully, they are back in production now so if I want to go the budget route I can start at any time.

Still, I periodically come across good deals on those old Oyster Perpetuals with the 1030 movement and I keep thinking to myself that if I'm going to do this thing, I should do it right.  I'm sure you can relate.  I don't want to have a sh*t ton of money tied up in what is, at the end of the day, just a rep.  At least if everything were gen or manufactured to be gen spec, then the watch can be parted out and the cost recouped if I ever wanted to sell it.  I look at Nanuq's killer piece and I drool.  The investment is serious, though.

Putting a ton of money into a budget build is just producing a rep with the wrong case dimensions, and there's not much that can be done with that other than just wear the crap out of it until it dies.  Still, there's a place for the budget build and I might still end up going that route, anyway.  It will be an enjoyable piece, for sure.