When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss ETA 2836-2 submariner winding question?

dusk

I'm wearing this as my daily hack. Very newbish question but if I take it off at night then how often should I be winding it for it to keep the best time? Just when it stops or periodically or will it take care of itself on the wrist?

I tend to wear same watch for work everyday now, I take it off every night too and once a week just check it's keeping good time if not I adjust it and at the same time give it a few winds tbh though pretty sure it doesn't need the winding ;)  I'm sure one of the more knowledgable guys will chime in with better advice for you mate  

If you wear an automatic watch (self winding) and it is in good condition (well oiled and clean) then if you wear it every day, you will never have to wind it. It should maintain a 40 hour power reserve, so you can theoretically leave it on your nightstand for almost two days and it will still be running.

The largest variable here is how much you move around during the day. If you are a strictly desk-bound office type then you MAY not move around enough to keep that 40 hour power reserve fully charged.

Accuracy has almost nothing to do with the power reserve. If your watch is fast or slow, it can be adjusted for better accuracy but winding it every day will not help this. Let it go for a week, and see how fast or slow the watch is, then calibrate it.

Thanks guys, useful info. I do have a design/ desk job so don't impart much kinetic energy into it in normal use. I do masturbate at least 4 times a day so this should more than make up for it.

Joking aside thanks fellas

Dusk

Thanks guys, useful info. I do have a design/ desk job so don't impart much kinetic energy into it in normal use. I do masturbate at least 4 times a day so this should more than make up for it.

Dusk

:crazy:  good one!  You are not hurting the watch by winding it gently once a day. The ETA design will be fully wound @ 40 complete turns of the crown if you start from a dead watch. It is not possible to overwind an automatic watch, since there is a slip-clutch design inside the spring barrel.

Since you work at a desk, and don't move around much during the day, I suggest you wind it every other morning. Winding it every day is overkill.

Do this, and have it cleaned and serviced every three to five years and it will last a lifetime.

:crazy:  good one!  You are not hurting the watch by winding it gently once a day. The ETA design will be fully wound @ 40 complete turns of the crown if you start from a dead watch. It is not possible to overwind an automatic watch, since there is a slip-clutch design inside the spring barrel.

Since you work at a desk, and don't move around much during the day, I suggest you wind it every other morning. Winding it every day is overkill.

Do this, and have it cleaned and serviced every three to five years and it will last a lifetime.

Great to hear that I can't over wind it that was my worry. It kind of makes me feel good taking it off and giving it a wind. It feels so smooth. Perfect answer for me and I'm sure will help others too afraid to ask,

Many thanks

Peace

Dusk

• Like 1

With a gen ETA movement can you hurt it by taking the watch off and swirling it in your palm a few times?  I do this every night before I go to bed and again when I wake up in the morning. 

This is perfectly fine. The weight is meant to swirl. That is it's job. Putting the watch into a watch winder will swirl the weight many many times. 800 a day is the average swirl from a winder.

Dusk

We have a lefty.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Hi, normally I just wind them about 20 times once when starting it up, otherwise with some swirls in the evening and morning it will run fine as long as You use it, even  without winding it anymore.