When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heritage Big Crown Finally Ready to Wear

droptopman

Hi guys, here is a "our hobby" story.  Several months ago a heritage big crown rep was for sale m2m.  I really loved the look of the watch and wanted to buy it, but it was sold in minutes.  Tried to buy the watch from the buyer of that sales thread, but no deal, also contacted the builder about making me one, again no deal.  You know the gig, at this point going to get that watch one way or another.  The watch ended up in one of our raffles.  I entered but did not win the raffle; however, I contacted the winner and he was nice enough to sell me the watch.  This watch was shipped around the world--original builder to first buyer, then to raffle winner, then to me.  Typical story, had to have it soooo bad and finally get it, but when it arrived some of the indices had fallen off the dial and movement died..... it appears in the last shipping it had to be dropped pretty hard as both people before me had no issues with it.  This is not a complaint or dis on anyone, more of a tale of how the hobby can be, and maybe other new folks can get an idea of how these things go sometimes and that in some cases it takes a little patience and perseverance.  Before I sent it off to be fixed, I spent many hours working on the case and bezel to soften and smooth it up; however in that process I messed up the platinum paint mod on the insert :bangin: so at some point I know I will need to redo it. 

I sent it to mymanmatt to work his magic and turns out the crown tube got off center which killed the movement.  He fixed the crown and tube, installed a new Swiss ETA, did something with the hands, fixed and centered the dial and got it running nicely.  Once returned I spent many hours trying to get the plat paint mod correct on the insert.  While it does not look gen, I think it turned out pretty good.  Put it on one of Sei's Rubber B straps.  These straps are awesome, super comfortable and great for everyday beater.  I know this is a pure fantasy piece, but I like the vintage modern fusion look of this.  I have way more money in this than it is worth (could have bought one of PBDad's Xmas pieces) but should run for long time with the new movement and everything works correctly. Here are pics of the finished product:

post-60288-0-03392600-1401116269_thumb.j

post-60288-0-29124800-1401116315_thumb.j

post-60288-0-60516600-1401116347_thumb.j

post-60288-0-97314200-1401116376_thumb.j

post-60288-0-46238100-1401116400_thumb.j

post-60288-0-01470500-1401116450_thumb.j

Yes unfortunately those were not available when I started this project. Also mine has lug holes and a creamier Lume which I like both better personally. The lug holes and the creamier lume was the main reason I went after this one instead of the pbd one. Love lug holes;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk